Goa’s floating casinos dumping sewage into river: PanelJuly 23rd, 2010 - 5:07 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, July 23 (IANS) A legislative panel has slammed the Goa government for allowing offshore casinos and cruise vessels to dump raw sewage into the Mandovi river that runs by this state capital.
“The committee is aghast by learning that the gaming vessels, casinos and boat cruises are releasing all kinds of waste into the Mandovi river thereby causing severe water pollution,” the panel for ports’ administration said in its report tabled Friday during the monsoon session of the Goa assembly.
The committee, headed by Babu Kavlekar of the ruling Congress-led coalition, also asked the state government to initiate proper measures to dispose sewage, garbage and oil.
“The committee is surprised that the government did not take cognisance all these years of the waste that the vessels were releasing into the Mandovi river,” the report said.
Seven offshore casinos and nearly a dozen pleasure cruise vessels ply on the Mandovi river.
The report also lambasted the government for not taking any measures to prevent collisions of vessels in the Mandovi river, one of the state’s major waterbodies in which hundreds of barges ply transporting ore from the mining belt to the trans-shippers anchored portwards. The river also has a major fishing jetty, which is home to nearly 200 trawlers.
“The committee is disgusted to acknowledge that the government has not taken any measures to prevent accidents and collisions,” the report said.
- Goa puts a freeze on new ore carrying barges - Jul 05, 2012
- Sailor dies as barge carrying ore sinks off Goa beach - Feb 21, 2011
- Goa's floating casinos can't enter the sea - Sep 16, 2010
- Goa mining lobby flexes muscle, blocks river traffic - Oct 12, 2011
- Women's group claims Goa government in cahoots with casinos - Aug 13, 2012
- Goa's offshore casinos running without mandatory NOCs - Mar 16, 2011
- Goa offshore casinos impeding barge traffic, says mining industry - Aug 07, 2009
- Fishermen block Goa port, Coast Guard help sought - Apr 16, 2011
- Goa ministers took money to shield floating casinos: Parrikar - Sep 16, 2010
- Goa BJP waters down stance on offshore casinos - Feb 23, 2012
- Goa Catholic priest opposes offshore casinos near village - Sep 21, 2010
- BJP budget blows hot and cold on Goa's offshore casinos - Mar 27, 2012
- Goans, under 21s, may be banned from Goa's casinos - Jul 05, 2012
- Casino revenue could fund Goa's old age homes: Parrikar - Aug 08, 2012
- Iron ore barge owners want cap on vessels - Nov 11, 2011
Tags: barges, boat cruises, collisions, cruise vessels, gaming vessels, garbage, goa assembly, goa government, jetty, legislative panel, mandovi river, monsoon session, offshore casinos, pleasure cruise, proper measures, raw sewage, shippers, state government, water pollution, waterbodies