Goa shuts its doors to Sri Rama Sene and MuthalikMarch 17th, 2009 - 2:23 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 17 (IANS) The Goa government will not allow the setting up of the Sri Rama Sene (SRS) in Goa where its ideology would find no takers, Home Minister Ravi Naik said Tuesday.
He was reacting to an announcement made by chief of the Hindu rightwing outfit, Pramod Muthalik, in south Maharashtra’s Vengurla town that it was seeking volunteers from Goa to start a branch in the state.
Muthalik would not be allowed to start the SRS in Goa “at any cost”, Naik responded.
“First of all we won’t allow them to start (the SRS) here. And this is Goa. Their ideology will not find any takers here,” Naik told a local cable channel.
He added he would not hesitate to ban the SRS.
Organisations like the SRS, which hit the spotlight after it attacked a group of women in a Mangalore pub on grounds that they were violating traditional Indian values, were best nipped in the bud, Naik said.
“Women are as free as men to decide what they want to do. We will not tolerate anyone dictating terms to us,” Naik said.
In a public rally at Vengurla, 66 km from here, Muthalik had said he had received several appeals from Goans to start a unit of the SRS.
Muthalik, who has nearly 45 cases against him and was Monday banned from entering Mangalore district for a year, also said he was keen on setting up the SRS in Goa to check the westernised way of life the state had grown used to.
- Goa CM dismisses Sri Ram Sene chief as inconsequential - Jun 27, 2012
- Sri Ram Sene will not find any takers in Goa: Naik - Mar 17, 2009
- Muthalik will be arrested if he enters Goa: Parrikar (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Action against those inviting Muthalik to Goa: CM - Jul 18, 2012
- No religion for purpose of statecraft: Parrikar - Jun 13, 2012
- Ram Sene should be monitored: Congress - Jun 21, 2012
- Goa government bans Sri Rama Sene - Mar 21, 2009
- Pramod Muthalik moves court against ban in Goa - Sep 23, 2009
- Sri Rama Sene not banned in Goa: official - Apr 03, 2009
- Sri Rama Sene will support Varun Gandhi: Pramod Muthalik - Mar 24, 2009
- Muthalik may be banned from entering Goa - Mar 19, 2009
- Muthaliks Sri Rama Sene to support Varun Gandhi - Mar 24, 2009
- Goa may ban Muthalik's entry, BJP backs the move (Lead) - Mar 19, 2009
- Deal with Sri Rama Sene like a terror outfit, says Faleiro - Jun 25, 2012
- Muthalik's Sri Ram Sene banned in South Goa - Apr 04, 2009
Tags: bud, cable channel, goa government, goans, group of women, hindu, home minister, maharashtra, march 17, organisations, panaji, public rally, ravi naik, rightwing, sene, sri rama, srs, traditional indian values, vengurla, way of life