Goa panel submits Lokayukta bill to KamatSeptember 19th, 2011 - 8:58 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Sep 19 (IANS) The Goa Law Commission presented a draft Lokayukta bill to Chief Minister Digambar Kamat at his residence here Monday, an official said.
Kamat, who last month told India Against Corruption members, supporting Anna Hazare, that he will introduce the bill in the forthcoming assembly session, refused to confirm whether the bill will be introduced in the winter session scheduled for October.
The Goa Lokayukta bill envisages separate prosecution and investigation wings for the office of the ombudsman.
“A high court judge will alone be qualified to be Lokayukta or Upa Lokayukta,” Law Commission chairman Ramakant Khalap told reporters.
The draft bill empowers the Lokayukta to take action against all functionaries, including chief minister, legislators and government servants, as well as societies, government companies, NGOs and individuals getting a grant of more than Rs.1 lakh from the government.
Institutions receiving foreign or public contributions too will be covered.
- Goa Congress likens illegal mining to 'murder on the street' - Jan 23, 2012
- Anti-graft activists in Goa demand tabling of Lokayukta bill - Sep 07, 2011
- Non-Goans cannot buy farm land, says Congress draft manifesto - Jan 23, 2012
- Congress, NCP set to seal Goa poll deal - Jan 23, 2012
- 50 Hazare supporters held in Goa - Aug 22, 2011
- Poll office notice to Goa law panel head - Jan 25, 2012
- Colonialism's shadow lingers over Goa village (Letter from Goa) - Jun 22, 2012
- Goa to pass Lokayukta law this week: Kamat - Oct 03, 2011
- Lokpal bill will fight graft at centre, not states: N. Santosh Hegde (Interview) - Apr 15, 2011
- Lokpal bill will fight corruption at centre, not states: Hegde (Interview) (Lead) - Apr 15, 2011
- Himachal introduces bill to strengthen Lokayukta (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- Lokpal panel likely to finalise report Nov 30 - Nov 28, 2011
- No need to follow Uttarakhand on Lokayukta: Dhumal - Apr 03, 2012
- Himachal introduces bill to strengthen Lokayukta - Apr 04, 2012
- Goa offers market rate, annuity for land acquired - Dec 08, 2010
Tags: anna hazare, assembly session, chief minister, commission chairman, court judge, draft bill, forthcoming assembly, goa, government companies, government institutions, government servants, lakh, legislators, ngos, office of the ombudsman, prosecution, public contributions, ramakant khalap, rs 1, winter session