Goa minister’s son booked for rape; he’s innocent says father (Lead)October 15th, 2008 - 1:14 am ICT by IANS
Panaji, Oct 14 (IANS) Goa Education Minister Atanasio Monseratte’s son Rohit, charged with allegedly raping a 14-year-old German girl, Tuesday managed to elude the police, even as his father maintained he was innocent.Superintendent of Police (North) Bosco George told mediapersons Tuesday evening that the minister had also been made an accessory to the crime.
“We have served a notice at Rohit’s home asking him to report to the Calangute police station as soon as possible,” said George.
The complaint, which was filed by the victim’s mother Fadela Fuchs Oct 2, was registered after 12 days at 12.10 p.m on Tuesday.
Fuchs had claimed that the police “preferred her not to pursue the complaint”.
In the evening, Monseratte went into a huddle with the chief minister, home minister and other select members of the state cabinet.
Speaking to the media after the meeting, he insisted his son was innocent and that he had met the chief minister to explain the situation to him.
“The police are plotting against me. They are targeting my son. I am glad I have the support of my colleagues,” he told reporters.
Fuchs claimed in her complaint that her 14-year-old daughter had been sexually and mentally abused by Rohit Monseratte.
She had also claimed that the minister’s wife had also approached her, asking her to drop the complaint against her 21-year-old son.
Fuch’s counsel Aires Roderigues was severely injured Monday night after he was assaulted by a group of masked attackers.
Monseratte said he would expose the name of those who had planned the attack on the lawyer.
Aires alleged at a crowded press conference Tuesday morning that Monseratte had masterminded the attack.
“Monseratte’s friends and some other highly-placed persons have been calling me to drop Fuchs’ brief. They had warned me that something like this would happen,” claimed Aires who lost two fingers in the attack.
The police have arrested three people in connection with the assault and all of them belong to Monseratte’s Taleigao constituency.
Monseratte told the media that he was not involved in the attack on Aires, claiming that some political mastermind had planned the conspiracy.