Goa minister detained with $10 mn at Mumbai airportApril 2nd, 2011 - 1:24 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 2 (IANS) Goa’s Education Minister Atanasio Monseratte was detained by the customs department at the Mumbai international airport after he was allegedly found carrying over $10 million, an official said.
Acting on a tip-off, the customs sleuths waited for Monseratte who arrived here by a domestic flight from Goa and was reportedly planning to go abroad.
Officials from the customs and other departments were questioning him for the huge amount of cash. He was also carrying Rs.2.5 million in Indian currency.
Security at the Mumbai airport has been extremely tight since the past few days in view of the World Cup final between India and Sri lanka and the heavy movement of VVIPs from India and abroad.
- Goa's Education Minister detained at Mumbai airport - Apr 02, 2011
- Goa minister detained with $10 mn should quit: BJP - Apr 02, 2011
- Customs playing double standards in Monserrate case: BJP - Apr 09, 2011
- Sack, arrest Goa minister Monserrate: BJP - Apr 08, 2011
- 'Detained Goa minister released after phone from Pranab's office' (Lead) - Apr 06, 2011
- Goa minister caught with $10 mn could have Dawood links: BJP - Apr 03, 2011
- Airport detentions on the rise for Bollywood stars - Jun 29, 2011
- Detained Goa minister released after phone call: BJP - Apr 06, 2011
- Ekta Kapoor detained at airport, released - Aug 08, 2011
- Rahat, manager fined Rs.1.5 each - Feb 20, 2011
- Mallika Sherawat's brother detained at Mumbai airport - Jun 07, 2011
- Minister in trouble again, could alter poll pitch (Goa newsletter) - Feb 03, 2012
- Goa assembly disrupted over minister's customs detention - Apr 05, 2011
- Flights diverted, repairs on at Goa runway (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Three flights diverted from Goa due to runway repairs - Oct 27, 2010