Goa illegal mining scam worth $423 million: Trinamool CongressFebruary 15th, 2012 - 8:47 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Feb 15 (IANS) Trinamool Congress president in Goa Wilfred de Souza Wednesday said he had a glimpse of Justice M.B. Shah commission report on illegal mining and that the document pegged a revenue loss of $423 million in the form of illegal ore export.
“The report which I managed to get a glimpse of says illegal mining in Goa has cost a loss of $423 million in terms of revenues to both the Goa and central governments,” de Souza said at the party’s state headquarters.
The report is being awaited with bated breath by the political establishment in Goa, with several high-profile Congressmen being linked to the multi-crore illegal mining scam.
Holding Chief Minister Digambar Kamat responsible for illegal mining in Goa, the Trinamool leader said: “The chief minister is in a position to stop illegal mining, instead he has encouraged it.”
The Congress-led coalition government in Goa has come under severe criticism over the issue of illegal mining, with civil society groups as well as the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) alleging a massive scam and involvement of several cabinet ministers.
Senior BJP leaders have directly accused Kamat in the Rs.25,000 crore illegal mining scam, already being probed by a judicial commission led by Justice M.B. Shah which is also investigating illegal mining in other parts of the country.
- Illegal mining report looms large over Goa (Goa Newsletter) - Mar 17, 2012
- TMC accuses Goa CM's men of burning poll material - Feb 17, 2012
- Congress keeping Goa illegal mining report under wraps: Munde - Feb 26, 2012
- Goa Congress denies illegal mining charges - Jan 17, 2012
- Goa Congress likens illegal mining to 'murder on the street' - Jan 23, 2012
- Commission pegs Goa mining scam at Rs 34,935 crore, BJP wants Kamat booked (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- BJP fielding candidates of mining lobby: Kamat - Feb 26, 2012
- Will Congress do a Yeddyurappa with Goa's Kamat? (Letter from Goa) - Sep 21, 2011
- Mining association admits to illegal exports from Goa - Nov 21, 2011
- BJP to meet president over Goa illegal mining scam - Oct 31, 2011
- Goa mining scam: Ruling NCP demands thorough probe - Sep 24, 2011
- BJP, Congress in nexus over illegal mining: Goa activists - Sep 23, 2011
- 40 mining companies in Goa issued notice - Apr 06, 2012
- Goa government lambasted on illegal mining in anniversary feature - Dec 13, 2011
- Don't leak Goa mining report to media: Congress - Oct 23, 2011
Tags: bated breath, bjp leaders, cabinet ministers, central governments, chief minister, civil society groups, coalition government, congress president, congressmen, de souza, glimpse, goa, judicial commission, opposition, panaji, political establishment, revenue loss, state headquarters