Goa has failed to keep promises, says Congress officialApril 1st, 2011 - 5:43 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, April 1 (IANS) In a frank critique of the Congress-led coalition in Goa, the party’s pointsman for Goa, Jagmeet Brar, Friday said the state government has failed to implement promises and schemes it announced.
The All India Congress Committee (AICC) official, who is on his maiden visit to Goa, also said that he was aware of indiscipline amongst Congress legislators and added that the party would take action against unruly dissent.
“The new programmes announced by the chief minister are good. As far as the implementation part is concerned, we are lagging behind,” Brar told reporters during an interaction here.
The Goa government over the last few years has been the target of public criticism for its failure to control corruption, proliferation of drug and narcotics substances, unchecked and illegal mining and the mushrooming of illegal constructions in the high-value beach-lined regions.
Brar, who was interacting with Congress legislators for two days, said that they openly show dissent against the party leadership.
“We will be more aggressive in this aspect. We will not allow anyone speaking against the party line to go scot free,” he said.
Over the last couple of years, several legislators, including former deputy chief minister Dayanand Narvekar, former power minister Mauvin Godinho, and legislator Agnelo Fernandes have been vocal in the state assembly and at other forums on issues related to flaws in governance.
Their comments have put the Congress party as well as Chief Minister Digambar Kamat in embarrassing situations.
- Congress, NCP in war of words over seat sharing - Nov 15, 2011
- Ex-deputy speaker named as Congress' Goa poll campaign manager - Feb 08, 2011
- Will Congress do a Yeddyurappa with Goa's Kamat? (Letter from Goa) - Sep 21, 2011
- Mining scam may hit Kamat's second term chances - Oct 23, 2011
- Rahul invitation a casual remark: Goa Congress chief - Nov 03, 2011
- Goa Congress legislator blames 'family raj' for losses - Mar 06, 2012
- No midnight session for Goa liberation's 50th anniversary: Kamat - Dec 02, 2011
- Parrikar flip-flop: Says no illegal mining in Goa - Jul 16, 2012
- Ramdev cannot inspire Goans: Congress - Dec 12, 2011
- Ore being illegally exported through Goa, claims legislator - Mar 16, 2011
- Goa mining scam worth Rs.10,000 crore: Congress legislator - Sep 17, 2011
- Saddened by trends, Goa Congress legislator to 'take a nap' - Mar 06, 2012
- Central government to blame for illegal mining: Parrikar (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- 'Congress ministers, legislators involved in legal mining' - Sep 23, 2011
- Kamat slammed for failure to rein in drug mafia - Jul 29, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,