Goa government to cancel five-star grading to coastal hotelMarch 23rd, 2009 - 6:35 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 23 (IANS) Goa Tourism Minister Francisco alias Mickky Pacheco said Monday that the five-star grading given to Hotel La Calypso would be cancelled after the opposition alleged corruption by tourism department officials in granting the hotel the grade.
Speaking during the budget session of the Goa legislative assembly, Pacheco assured the house that the five-star certification would be withdrawn as soon as possible.
“We have already initiated a vigilance enquiry against the officials responsible,” Pacheco said.
The opposition benches had earlier alleged that Hotel La Calypso had been fraudulently issued the grading with the explicit purpose of starting a casino on its premises.
Only five-star hotels in Goa are allowed to start on shore casinos according to the Goa Public Gambling Act, 1976.
“The state tourism department does not have the authority to sanction five-star grading. Only certain central government agencies are allowed to grade hotels,” Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar said.
Parrikar also alleged that La Calypso was given the grading when more than 50 percent of the hotel had been demolished for violating the Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) rules following a court order.
- No gambling for Goans, says BJP - Mar 15, 2011
- Goans, under 21s, may be banned from Goa's casinos - Jul 05, 2012
- Bill to put casinos out of bounds for Goans - Mar 25, 2011
- 'BJP favoured offshore casino lobby in Goa' - Jun 22, 2009
- Goa earned Rs.30 crore from casino entry fee - Aug 06, 2012
- New Nepal casino targets Indians in UP, Bihar - Dec 02, 2010
- CWG-like scam in National Games-2014: Goa opposition - Mar 21, 2011
- Casino revenue could fund Goa's old age homes: Parrikar - Aug 08, 2012
- Goa casinos need regulatory authority: Casino operator - Nov 15, 2011
- Nepal's casino kingdom faces guillotine - Feb 12, 2011
- Nepal parliament orders casinos to quit Kathmandu - Feb 03, 2011
- Indian casino king's kingdom crumbles in Nepal - Dec 28, 2010
- Goa fighting shy of promoting casinos, says Official - Oct 15, 2010
- Goa tourism minister accused of assaulting casino dealers - Jun 19, 2009
- Three five-star hotels on PPP mode likely in Goa - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: alleged corruption, budget session, calypso, central government agencies, department officials, explicit purpose, five star hotels, five star hotels in goa, goa government, goa tourism, hotels in goa, leader of opposition, legislative assembly, opposition benches, pacheco, panaji, star certification, state tourism department, tourism minister, vigilance