Goa court directs FIR against minister in land scam caseJanuary 11th, 2011 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Jan 11 (IANS) A Goa court Tuesday directed the state police to file within 24 hours a first information report (FIR) against state Tourism and Housing Minister Nilkanth Halarnkar, who has been accused of a multi-million rupee land scam. Judicial Magistrate (first class) Shabnam Sheikh ordered police to file the FIR after the complainants - who are right to information (RTI) activists — told the court that police and the state vigilance department were unwilling to register their complaint against the minister and the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) legislator for over a month now.
Halarnkar, who was appointed minister a few months ago in the Congress-led coalition government of the state, has been accused of allotting government land to a trust at throwaway rates.
“Halarnkar, as chairman of the Goa Housing Board, causes a loss of Rs.57 lakh to the exchequer by allotting 23,000 sq mt land at a throwaway price of Rs.1,000 per sq mt to his trust, whereas the land at current rates is valued at more than.Rs 4,000,” complainant Kashinath Shetye has said.
The land in question is located in the village of Colavle, which is a part of Halarnkar’s legislative assembly constituency.
- Goa minister booked for land scam - Jan 11, 2011
- NCP leader arrested for illegal mining, hospitalised - Aug 05, 2011
- Goa court orders probe against NCP leader, bureaucrat - May 07, 2011
- Disney-style theme park, marina and ropeway proposed for Goa - Sep 05, 2011
- NCP leader, two officials booked in illegal mining case - May 10, 2011
- NCP leader arrested for illegal mining - Aug 04, 2011
- FIR ordered against officials in hospital privatisation case - Jul 23, 2011
- Two NCP ministers quit Congress-led Goa government - Mar 14, 2011
- Criminal complaint against NCP leader for illegal mining - Feb 14, 2011
- Goa to use PPP to develop four prime properties - Mar 16, 2011
- Probe demanded into Goa land scam with Margaret Alva links - Oct 15, 2011
- A third of Goa's population dependent on tourism: Minister - Feb 01, 2011
- Goa's offshore casinos running without mandatory NOCs - Mar 16, 2011
- Goa court issues notice to governor's aide - Nov 25, 2010
- Police complaint against 'Dum Maaro Dum' makers - Apr 08, 2011
Tags: coalition government, complainant, fir, goa, government land, housing board, housing minister, information report, judicial magistrate, lakh, land scam, legislative assembly, legislator, nationalist congress party, ncp, rs 1, rti, scam case, sq mt, state tourism