Goa BJP waters down stance on offshore casinosFebruary 23rd, 2012 - 4:31 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Feb 23 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Thursday watered down its stance on offshore casinos in Goa, saying it merely wanted them to be relocated out of sight in the Arabian Sea.
Leader of opposition Manohar Parrikar told reporters at the party headquarters that the six operational offshore casinos presently anchored in the Mandovi river would be moved out to the sea if the party is elected to power in the March 3 assembly polls.
“We are very clear. There will be regularization of the casinos. They can not block the river and create a nuisance like they are creating now. We will ask them to move out into the sea,” Parrikar said.
Parrikar also said that the entry of locals could also be banned in the casinos.
“The government has already given them licences. How can we do it? You tell me under which rule it can be done,” said Parrikar, when asked about the party’s earlier stated position that the offshore casino policy would be scrapped if they came to power.
Goa’s six offshore casinos currently operate in the Mandovi river near Panaji. Three years ago, the BJP had started an agitation demanding that offshore casinos be removed from Goa, because they were a bad influence on the local population.
- BJP budget blows hot and cold on Goa's offshore casinos - Mar 27, 2012
- Goa ministers took money to shield floating casinos: Parrikar - Sep 16, 2010
- Goans, under 21s, may be banned from Goa's casinos - Jul 05, 2012
- Casino revenue could fund Goa's old age homes: Parrikar - Aug 08, 2012
- Women's group claims Goa government in cahoots with casinos - Aug 13, 2012
- Goa Catholic priest opposes offshore casinos near village - Sep 21, 2010
- BJP wants to deter locals from gambling - Mar 27, 2012
- Mining and casino-friendly Parrikar is like Chanakya: Congress - Aug 30, 2012
- Goa's offshore casino operators withdraw petition - Sep 23, 2010
- Goa's water share important than party: Parrikar - Aug 07, 2012
- Goa's floating casinos can't enter the sea - Sep 16, 2010
- Goa's offshore casinos running without mandatory NOCs - Mar 16, 2011
- Goa earned Rs.30 crore from casino entry fee - Aug 06, 2012
- Bill to put casinos out of bounds for Goans - Mar 25, 2011
- Congress accuses BJP of 'U-turn' on casino, illegal mining - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: agitation, arabian sea, assembly polls, bad influence, bharatiya janata party, bjp, casino policy, goa, leader of opposition, locals, mandovi river, nuisance, offshore casino, offshore casinos, out of sight, party headquarters, population, sea leader