Goa BJP ‘bribed’ Hindu gods to win polls: NCPJune 8th, 2009 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, June 8 (IANS) The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) Monday charged that Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders had even “bribed” Hindu gods to bolster their sagging vote bank in Goa.
The remarks by NCP leader Jitendra Deshprabhu come a day after the BJP’s Rajiv Pratap Rudy said his party had finally broken the ice with Christian voters in the state.
Deshprabhu said the BJP “bribed” numerous temple committees in the state with money in order to win the Lok Sabha polls.
“They did not even spare the Hindu deities. Bundles of notes were offered to the temple committees, bribing them in order to lure votes,” Deshprabhu told reporters.
BJP national spokesperson and in-charge of Goa Rudy Sunday said the sizeable number of Christian voters had finally warmed up to the party.
“The support the BJP got from the minority community in the Lok Sabha elections in Goa is a good sign. We managed to garner sizeable votes in minority-dominated constituencies,” the senior BJP leader said.
Deshprabhu alleged that BJP MP from North Goa Shripad Naik, during his previous stint, spent his MP Local Area Development (MPLAD) funds on communal projects.
“In the garb of spending money on community centres, he has only spent money on temples, which manage these centres,” said Deshprabhu, who lost the Lok Sabha election to Naik from North Goa.
“It is only furthering the BJP’s communal agenda. Tell me, can you have a nikah (Muslim marriage) in a temple community centre? Can you have a Christian wedding at such MPLAD funded community centres run by temple managements?” he wondered.
Of Goa’s two Lok Sabha seats, the BJP and the Congress won one each.
In an official statement following the meeting Sunday, which was attended by all state BJP bigwigs, the party said that lack of money power was one of the main reasons for their lackluster performance in the state, which saw sitting MP Naik’s lead slip by nearly 52,000 votes.
- Goa BJP hits poll gear without main candidate - Jan 17, 2012
- BJP takes on Congress-NCP combine in Goa (Poll Curtainraiser - Goa) - Apr 22, 2009
- Congress claim whittles, BJP coy over seats - Mar 02, 2012
- Campaigning for Goa's two Lok Sabha seats ends - Apr 21, 2009
- BJP leading in both seats in Goa - May 16, 2009
- Cash-for-post scam rocks Goa NCP unit - Jul 06, 2011
- Congress takes potshots at caste rivalry in Goa BJP - Jan 30, 2012
- Goa NCP leader summoned in illegal mining case - Jul 11, 2011
- Goa's results expected in three hours - May 15, 2009
- Goa re-elects sitting MPs, albeit with depleted margins - May 16, 2009
- NCP leader arrested for illegal mining - Aug 04, 2011
- Slow polling in Goa (Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- In Goa, it's time to sponsor pilgrimages - Jan 18, 2012
- Rift in Goa BJP settled: Gadkari - Feb 05, 2012
- NCP leader arrested for illegal mining, hospitalised - Aug 05, 2011
Tags: bjp leader, communal projects, elections in goa, hindu deities, hindu gods, lackluster performance, lok sabha election, lok sabha elections, lok sabha polls, lok sabha seats, muslim marriage, national spokesperson, nationalist congress party, north goa, rajiv pratap, senior bjp, sizeable number, temple committees, temple community, vote bank