Goa BJP blames ‘biased’ media for poll debacleMay 19th, 2009 - 3:10 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, May 19 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Goa Tuesday alleged that biased coverage by some national television news channels was a crucial factor that led to the party’s poor showing in the recent Lok Sabha polls.
Former chief minister Manohar Parrikar, the leader of opposition in the state assembly, told reporters, that some channels were indulging in “a virtual publicity campaign for the Congress party”.
“They were fully campaigning for the Congress in these elections,” Parrikar said, while trying to analyse the party’s unflattering performance in Goa.
While BJP’s Shripad Naik won one of the two Lok Sabha seats in Goa, his lead was clipped by his nearest rival by almost 50,000 votes as compared to the votes polled in the 2004 general elections.
This is not the first time the BJP in Goa has lashed out at the electronic media for its allegedly “anti-BJP” stance.
At a function organised by the ‘Friends of BJP’ here during the run-up to the polls, Parrikar had demanded that the balance-sheets of major news channels be probed for profits generated from an extensive campaign sponsored by the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government.
“National news channels, which were in the red, are now suddenly showing profits,” Parrikar had alleged.
At the same function, former information and broadcasting minister Ravi Shankar Prasad had also alleged that English news channels had a bias in favour of the Congress.
- Goa BJP hits poll gear without main candidate - Jan 17, 2012
- 100 percent voting for presidential poll in Goa - Jul 19, 2012
- Rift in Goa BJP settled: Gadkari - Feb 05, 2012
- Congress takes potshots at caste rivalry in Goa BJP - Jan 30, 2012
- BJP woes in Goa worsen after Gadkari visit - Feb 07, 2012
- BJP, Congress in nexus over illegal mining: Goa activists - Sep 23, 2011
- Congress claim whittles, BJP coy over seats - Mar 02, 2012
- Gadkari-Munde feud inspires a sequel in Goa - Jan 30, 2012
- Parrikar's mining flip flop angers activists - Jul 17, 2012
- Goa skips siesta to vote, as high as 80 percent (Evening Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- BJP-MGP alliance win in Goa; to stake claim Wednesday (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- BJP-MGP alliance routs Congress-NCP in Goa (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress keeping Goa illegal mining report under wraps: Munde - Feb 26, 2012
- Lokayukta to probe sensitive cases after appointment: Parrikar - Apr 30, 2012
- Goa plans advisory body on Muslim, Christian issues - Apr 02, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, chief minister, congress party, english news, general elections, leader of opposition, lok sabha polls, lok sabha seats, major news, manohar parrikar, naik, national television, news channels, poll debacle, progressive alliance, publicity campaign, ravi shankar, ravi shankar prasad, state assembly