Goa beach controlled by international drug cartels: legislatorJuly 27th, 2009 - 5:02 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, July 27 (IANS) A legislator of the ruling Congress party in Goa Monday claimed the state’s renowned Calangute beach has been parcelled out between various international narcotics cartels.
Speaking in the assembly, Calangute legislator Agnelo Fernandes said that drug cartels from Nigeria, Scotland, Israel and Russia had carved out independent pockets of influence in the popular coastal village of Calangute and even he felt threatened travelling there at night.
“There will be a time when we will not be allowed to enter these areas. It is already dangerous to go in the dark to these places. Even I feel threatened to go there in the dark,” he said.
“Even local boys are selling drugs. We should do something about this,” Fernandes added.
Called the queen of beaches, Calangute is arguably the most famous beach in Goa, attracting a significant chunk of the two million tourists, who visit the state annually.
- Beached ship used as transit point for drugs: Goa opposition - Jul 27, 2009
- Drug runners will shoot Goa chief minister soon: Congress legislator - Jan 12, 2010
- Kamat slammed for failure to rein in drug mafia - Jul 29, 2010
- Goa Congress legislator for CBI probe into drug mafia nexus (Lead) - May 28, 2010
- Foreigners in Goa under 'unobtrusive surveillance' - Jul 20, 2012
- Not enough being done to curb drug trade in Goa: Panel - Jul 26, 2010
- Drug sale rampant in Goa: Congress legislators - Mar 24, 2009
- Goa has failed to keep promises, says Congress official - Apr 01, 2011
- British travel advisory on theft, drugs in Goa - Jun 26, 2012
- Goa Police silent after TV expose on drug abuse - Jan 12, 2010
- 'Drug dealers can meet visitors in Goa jails, legislators can't' - Jul 18, 2010
- 'For three years, one foreigner died every week in Goa' - Mar 24, 2011
- Congress MLA walked away with draft PAC report on mining: BJP - Oct 04, 2011
- Erosion threatens Goa's beaches, says minister - Aug 01, 2012
- Goa home ministry to decide on loud parties - Mar 02, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,