Goa assembly to probe ex-minister’s son’s role in drugs caseAugust 3rd, 2012 - 3:55 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 3 (IANS) The Goa government Friday appointed a house committee of the state assembly to probe the involvement of one “Roy” in the state’s infamous drug mafia-police-politician nexus.
Chief minister Manohar Parrikar said the committee would be headed by former tourism minister and legislator from Nuvem Francisco alias Mickky Pacheco.
“Since there are many complaints of drug cases and involvement of one Roy, the government is setting up a house committee headed by Micky Pacheco, who has brought up this question in the assembly,” Parrikar told the Goa legislative assembly during question hour.
Roy is the son of Goa’s former home minister Ravi Naik.
In a formal court deposition, Fiona Mackeown, mother of slain British teenager Scarlett Keeling, had accused Roy and Ravi Naik of being involved in the state’s drug trade.
A Swedish model, who was the former girlfriend of Israeli drug dealer Yaniv Benaim alias Atala, also had accused Roy Naik of being a part of the Israeli drug mafia.
Ravi Naik, who was home minister at the time, had, however, said that the “Roy” in question was not his son.
Parrikar said the house committee would be formally asked to submit its findings to the government within one month.
“The government has requested the committee to gather all information and proof about the person Roy and submit it within one month. The government will investigate the involvement of Roy through the Crime Branch, whose SP (superintendent of police) is new and there is no pressure from any political party,” Parrikar said.
Incidentally, Pacheco, the chairman of the house committee, himself has an assortment criminal charges against him. These include assaulting a government servant, abetment to suicide, bigamy and money laundering, to name a few.
- Goa police do not have list of drug traffickers - Mar 17, 2011
- Police helped Israeli drug dealer escape: Goa opposition - Mar 31, 2011
- Goa home minister's son sheltered drug mafia: Parrikar - Jul 16, 2011
- No drug mafia in Goa, asserts minister - Dec 21, 2010
- CBI points to links between Goa Police, drug mafia - Oct 01, 2011
- BJP demands CBI probe into Goa drug nexus - Jul 16, 2010
- CBI to bring Israeli drug dealer to Goa - Aug 17, 2011
- CBI should probe role of Goa home minister's son in drug nexus: BJP - Jan 27, 2011
- Congress ducks queries on Goa drug nexus - Jan 21, 2011
- Goa government under fire for awarding 'drug cop' - Dec 21, 2010
- Goa Police tried to kill me: Israeli drug dealer - Aug 26, 2011
- No police lapse in drug dealer's disappearance: Goa minister - Aug 25, 2010
- Will probe Goa drug nexus: CBI to high court - Apr 05, 2011
- Probe links of Goa home minister's son to drug trade: BJP - Jul 07, 2010
- CBI can't probe Goa drug nexus, high court told - Mar 22, 2011
Tags: atala, benaim, bigamy, british teenager, court deposition, crime branch, drugs case, former girlfriend, goa assembly, goa government, government servant, home minister, house committee, legislative assembly, manohar parrikar, naik, state assembly, swedish model, tourism minister, yaniv