Gloom at BJP office, leaders and workers stay awayMay 16th, 2009 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 16 (IANS) The otherwise bustling Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) Ashoka Road office here wore a deserted look Saturday, with both leaders and party workers staying away as election results came in signalling its defeat.
With no crowds to manage, policemen were seen relaxing in the shade and the hawkers waited in vain for their customers. Even mediapersons slowly started drifting away to the Congress office.
“I have heard that there are big celebrations going outside the Congress office at Akbar Road. But here I don’t have anyone to buy my chanas (grams). I am going to Akbar Road (Congress headquarters) for better business,” said 15-year-old street vendor Rambahadur.
Hundreds of party workers who used to throng the BJP office till Friday gave it a miss Saturday.
“Roz to kaam kam nahin hota tha par aaj pata nahi kyon koi nahi aaya hai (Usually the business was not bad, but today there is no one),” said Rakesh Kumar, who sells small laddoos outside the BJP office.
Informed by someone that there was a huge crowd outside the Congress office, he promptly packed his stuff and left.
The stationary shop inside the BJP office, which used to be crowded, was deserted. “Who will buy anything when the party has lost so badly,” said the shop owner, who did not wish to give his name.
Leaving aside the party spokespersons, there was no big leader at the BJP’s national headquarters. Leaders like V.K. Malhotra, Balbir Punj, Siddharth Nath Singh and Ravi Shankar Prasad were busy giving reactions to the media.
Party general secretary Arun Jaitley came for a little while, held a news conference, and promptly left.
- Euphoria in Congress headquarters, gloom over BJP's (Second Lead) - May 16, 2009
- Delhi civic polls: BJP celebrates, Congress sombre (Sidelights) - Apr 17, 2012
- Upbeat mood in BJP office, gloom in Congress (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Gloom at Congress headquarters after dismal performance - Mar 06, 2012
- Ramdev supporters blacken Sonia's poster, two held (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Ramdev supporters, Congress workers clash; two held - Jan 16, 2012
- Lucknow streets deserted on India-Pakistan match day - Mar 30, 2011
- Chhattisgarh shuts down against FDI in retail - Dec 01, 2011
- Hazare supporters rally outside Congress HQ - Aug 22, 2011
- Complete shutdown observed in Odisha (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Congress workers protest outside BJP office - Mar 02, 2011
- Anti-price rise strike paralyses life in several states (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2010
- Strike against prices hits life in parts of India (Lead) - Apr 27, 2010
- Windstorm causes widespread damage across Kashmir Valley (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Strike cripples life in Tripura - Feb 28, 2012
Tags: aaya, arun jaitley, ashoka road, balbir, congress office, general secretary, gloom, hawkers, janata party, kyon, malhotra, nath, national headquarters, punj, ravi shankar, ravi shankar prasad, siddharth, spokespersons, stationary shop, street vendor