GJM to take part in GTA pollsJune 30th, 2012 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
Darjeeling, June 30 (IANS) The Gorkha Janmuktui Morcha will take part in the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA) polls to be held July 29, a party leader said Saturday.
The decision was taken at the party’s core committee meeting here in this northern Bengal hill resort.
“We will contest in all the 45 seats of the GTA. Our president Bimal Gurung will finalise the candidates,” GJM general secretary Roshan Giri told reporters.
Gurung has also been requested to be a candidate in the polls, but he has sought time to decide.
North Bengal Affairs Minister Gautam Deb welcomed the GJM’s decision.
Nominations for the polls to the GTA - the proposed new development agency in the northern hills of West Bengal - can be filed till July 9, according to a state government notification.
The three picturesque Darjeeling hill subdivisions of Darjeeling, Kurseyong and Kalimpong have been on the boil for nearly three decades due to anti-government protests over the Gorkhaland demand. The hills had witnessed killings, police crackdowns and long shutdowns which severely impacted the hills’ economic mainstays - tea, timber and tourism.
On July 18 last year, a tripartite agreement was signed between the GJM, and the state and central governments for setting up a new autonomous, elected GTA, a hill council armed with more powers than its predecessor - the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council (DGHC) formed in the late 1980s.
The state government has decided to form a three-member fact verification panel to look into the recommendations of a high-powered committee on the issue of area demarcation in the proposed GTA.
- GJM to take part in GTA polls, Mamata happy (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Decision on territorial polls Saturday, says GJM - Jun 28, 2012
- GJM candidates only ones in fray in about half of GTA seats - Jul 12, 2012
- 122 candidates file nominations for GTA polls - Jul 10, 2012
- All CPI-M candidates pull out of Gorkhaland polls - Jul 12, 2012
- Polls to new Gorkhaland civic body July 29 - Jun 25, 2012
- GJM faces heat from rival parties for strong-arm tactics - Jul 07, 2012
- GJM to boycott Rajya Sabha polls - Mar 18, 2012
- GTA members sworn in; Shinde, Mamata assure support - Aug 04, 2012
- GJM threatens to renew Gorkhaland demand - Feb 09, 2012
- GJM wins absolute majority in GTA polls - Jul 13, 2012
- GJM sweeps maiden GTA polls, not to give up Gorkhaland demand - Aug 02, 2012
- Upset over panel report, GJM threatens to renew agitation (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Gorkhaland team meets Bengal governor - Aug 22, 2012
- Darjeeling hills happy, but seek Gorkha area demarcation - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: affairs minister, bengal hill, central governments, core committee, demarcation, fact verification, gautam, giri, gorkha, government notification, kalimpong, north bengal, party leader, roshan, shutdowns, territorial administration, three decades, tripartite agreement, verification panel, west bengal