GJM to support BJP in DarjeelingApril 4th, 2009 - 7:37 pm ICT by IANS
Siliguri, April 4 (IANS) The Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) Saturday said it would support Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate Jaswant Singh for West Bengal’s Darjeeling Lok Sabha seat as the party had promised to consider the Gorkhaland demand in its election manifesto.
“We’ve decided to support Jaswant Singh in the Lok Sabha polls, as the party has promised to sympathetically consider our demand for a separate Gorkhaland state in its election manifesto,” GJM central committee member Amar Lama told reporters.
He said it was for the first time that the Gorkhaland demand had found a place in the election manifesto of a national political party.
Lama said that Jaswant Singh would come to Darjeeling next week and he would file his nomination April 9.
Earlier, BJP president Rajnath Singh said his party had always stood for smaller states and during the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) rule, it had created Chhattisgarh, Uttarakhand and Jharkhand.
He also promised that in future the party would also work for Gorkhaland and Telangana (in Andhra Pradesh).
The GJM is leading an agitation for Gorkhaland, a separate state to be formed out of Darjeeling and the foothills of the Himalayas in West Bengal.
- GJM's support to Trinamool won't affect ties: BJP - Apr 08, 2011
- Our MLAs will resign once they win Bengal polls: GJM - Apr 13, 2011
- Ahead of meet with GJM, Mamata rejects Bengal's division (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Divide Darjeeling into two districts: GJM - Aug 03, 2011
- 'Jaswant's return to BJP will strengthen Gorkhaland movement' - Jun 24, 2010
- Gorkhaland demand not a closed chapter: GJM - Jul 18, 2011
- Darjeeling pact signed amid euphoria and protests (Roundup) - Jul 18, 2011
- Jaswant arrives in Darjeeling to a rousing reception - Apr 07, 2009
- Mamata blames centre for delay on Gorkha autonomy (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Darjeeling set for historic treaty - amid controversy - Jul 17, 2011
- BJP says it's committed to creating smaller states - Apr 04, 2009
- Gorkha group to meet Mamata for honouring accord - Feb 10, 2012
- Mamata blames centre for delay on Gorkha autonomy - Feb 11, 2012
- Upset over panel report, GJM threatens to renew agitation (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Gorkhaland demand brings Jaswant, Advani together - Dec 14, 2009
Tags: agitation, andhra pradesh, april 4, central committee member, election manifesto, gjm, gorkha, himalayas, janata party, lama, lok sabha polls, national democratic alliance, nomination, rajnath singh, siliguri, telangana, west bengal