GJM to support BJP in Darjeeling, Jaswant Singh likely candidateApril 3rd, 2009 - 12:34 am ICT by IANS
Siliguri (West Bengal), April 2 (IANS) The Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM), fighting for a separate Gorkhaland state in northern West Bengal, has decided to support the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for the Darjeeling seat and Jaswant Singh is likely to be the BJP candidate, according to a top GJM leader.
The decision was arrived at following a meeting between the GJM top brass, including its president Bimal Gurung and secretary Roshan Seth and BJP’s senior leader L.K. Advani in Delhi Thursday, GJM press and publicity secretary Benoy Tamang said.
“The BJP has told us that it is in favour of smaller states and its manifesto will reflect this stand. We think this is positive for us and our Gorkhaland demand,” Tamang said.
“The BJP has agreed to our request that Jaswant Singh be made the candidate from Darjeeling,” Tamang said.
The GJM is leading the movement for Gorkhaland, which it says should be carved out of Darjeeling district and parts of neighbouring Jalpaiguri district.
- Gorkha group threatens indefinite Darjeeling shutdown - Jun 18, 2010
- Trucks torched, Gorkhaland demand intensifies in Darjeeling (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- GJM activists stone Sikkim-bound vehicles - May 15, 2010
- Darjeeling pact signed amid euphoria and protests (Roundup) - Jul 18, 2011
- New state will be Gorkha Adivasi Pradesh, says Gurung - May 31, 2010
- Gorkha group calls for 240-hour shutdown next month - May 13, 2010
- GJM leader Nicole Tamang flees from CID custody - Aug 22, 2010
- Divide Darjeeling into two districts: GJM - Aug 03, 2011
- Gorkhaland demand not a closed chapter: GJM - Jul 18, 2011
- Shutdown cripples life in Darjeeling for sixth day (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- All CPI-M candidates pull out of Gorkhaland polls - Jul 12, 2012
- No senior GJM leader in Madan Tamang murder case charge-sheet - Aug 30, 2010
- 'Fear factor' missing from Darjeeling campaigning, say parties - Apr 12, 2011
- Madan Tamang's widow to contest from Darjeeling - Mar 30, 2011
- GJM candidates only ones in fray in about half of GTA seats - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: benoy, bharatiya janata party, bjp candidate, favour, gjm, gorkha, gurung, jalpaiguri district, jaswant singh, l k advani, manifesto, publicity secretary, roshan seth, tamang, top brass, west bengal