Give details to Sangma, says poll panel on Pranab orderJuly 5th, 2012 - 5:35 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 4 (IANS) The Election Commission Wednesday directed the returning officer for the presidential poll to give details of the scrutiny proceedings and the order rejecting opposition backed P.A. Sangma’s objection to UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee’s candidature.
Returning Officer V.K. Agnihotri, who is the secretary general of Rajya Sabha, had sought the poll panel’s view on whether to provide the details to Sangma.
“When he (Agnihotri) asked, then the EC (Election Commission suggested to him to give everybody, including Sangma, the details. He was also asked to put the proceedings on the website,” a poll panel official told IANS.
Sangma, who has the backing of several opposition parties, including the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), had written to Agnihotri seeking a copy of his order rejecting his objection the candidature of Mukherjee, who has been fielded by the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA).
Sangma’s team had Monday demanded that Mukherjee’s nomination be rejected as he held an office of profit as the chairman of the Kolkata-based Indian Statistical Institute (ISI).
Mukherjee, however, produced his resignation letter dated June 20 with acceptance from the ISI, after which Sangma’s objection was rejected and Mukherjee’s nomination was accepted.
However, at a press conference Tuesday, BJP alleged that Mukherjee’s signatures on the two documents submitted were different.
- Give details to Sangma, says poll panel on Pranab order (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Can't forge signature, says Pranab; Team Sangma to move court (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Poll panel rejects Sangma's plea against Pranab (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Can't forge signature, says Pranab; Team Sangma to move court (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Pranab survives Sangma googly; BJP waves 'fabricated' letter (Intro Roundup) (With Image) - Jul 03, 2012
- Poll panel rejects Sangma's plea against Pranab (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Pranab survives Sangma googly; BJP waves 'fabricated' letter (Roundup) (With images) - Jul 03, 2012
- Team Sangma to approach poll panel against Pranab's nomination (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Sangma's plea rejected, Mukherjee's nomination accepted (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Cancel Pranab's candidature, says Sangma; Congress dismisses allegation (Third Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Cancel Pranab's candidature, says Sangma; ISI says Mukherjee quit July 20 (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Cancel Pranab's candidature, says Sangma; ISI says Mukherjee quit June 20 (Second Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sangma's team keeps option of moving apex court open - Jul 22, 2012
- Team Sangma gives poll panel proof against Mukherjee - Jul 09, 2012
- BJP again rakes up Pranab's 'forged' signature issue - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, candidature, election commission, indian statistical institute, isi, kolkata, letter dated june, New Delhi, nomination, objection, opposition parties, pranab mukherjee, presidential poll, progressive alliance, rajya sabha, resignation letter, returning officer, scrutiny, secretary general