Germany mulls burqa banJanuary 31st, 2010 - 6:37 am ICT by IANS
Berlin, Jan 31 (RIA Novosti) As France has moved closer to a ban on burqas, German politicians are debating whether a similar measure was necessary in their own country, media reports said.
After a French parliamentary commission ruled earlier this week that the enveloping garment worn by some Islamic women is unacceptable and recommended a ban in schools and public offices, former Social Democratic parliamentarian, Turkish-German Lale Akgun urged for a similar ban in Germany.
“The burqa is a full-body prison that deeply threatens human rights,” she told the Frankfurter Rundschau daily. “It would be an important signal for Germany to ban the burqa.”
A burqa ban in German should include schools, universities, and high-security zones such as banks and airports, the daily quoted her as saying Saturday.
However, fellow party member Dieter Wiefelspütz rejected the suggestion.
“We have a different understanding of freedom than the French,” he told the paper, adding that an enlightened Islam could not be forced.
Green party leader Cem Ozdemir said the debate overlooked the real conflict of integration, stressing that the number of women who wear burqas in Germany is low.
- Medvedev blasts German group for taking back Putin award - Jul 20, 2011
- Burqa empowers women, says British minister - Jul 19, 2010
- British minister terms burqa ban un-British - Jul 18, 2010
- Hesse becomes first German state to ban Islamic face veil - Feb 05, 2011
- 'Britain must ban burqa to beat terrorism' - Oct 16, 2010
- Parliament Of France Approves Of The Burqa Ban - Jul 14, 2010
- Belgium set to become first EU country to ban burqas - Mar 31, 2010
- Turin official asks school board to ban burqa-wearing mothers - Nov 25, 2010
- Anshu Jain's appointment as Deutsche Bank chief questioned (Lead) - Jun 18, 2010
- Indian's appointment as Deutsche Bank chief sparks debate - Jun 18, 2010
- French parliament opens debate on veil ban - Jul 07, 2010
- Veil row in Italy after woman fined by cops - May 05, 2010
- France may impose 700-pound fine for women wearing burqas - Jan 08, 2010
- Sarkozy reiterates determination to ban burqa ban in France - Nov 13, 2009
- Berlusconi ally brings anti-burqua bill in parliament - Sep 28, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,