Germany grants asylum to 50 Iranian dissidentsJuly 24th, 2010 - 11:20 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, July 24 (DPA) Germany has granted asylum to 50 Iranian citizens who fled their country after the so-called “Green Revolution” protests that followed last year’s presidential elections, the Interior Ministry said Saturday.
A spokesman for the ministry, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed a report in the Spiegel news magazine and said that 12 of the asylum seekers have already arrived in the country. Another 26 have been approved, while the remainder still have to be processed.
The presidential election of June 2009, which saw Mahmoud Ahmadinejad re-elected, sparked massive street protests by supporters of opposition candidate Mir-Hossein Moussavi, who charged that the polls had been rigged.
The pro-Moussavi movement was nicknamed the “Green Revolution” after the campaign colour they had adopted.
The Spiegel report said that the majority of the dissidents involved in the protests had taken refuge in Turkey prior to their application for help from Germany.
German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere made the decision to admit Iranian dissidents in March, and a figure of 50 was agreed with regional ministers in May.
- Iranian opposition cancels election anniversary rally - Jun 10, 2010
- Iranian opposition leader sentenced six-year jail - Feb 09, 2010
- Black, green prevail as Tehran streets again thronged (Lead) - Jun 18, 2009
- Pro-Moussavi protestors in Iran demand new election - Jun 18, 2009
- Moussavi seeks permission for mourning ceremony in Iran - Jul 26, 2009
- Iranian opposition parties cancel rally planned for election anniversary - Jun 10, 2010
- Hundreds of thousands join protest rally in Tehran (Lead) - Jun 16, 2009
- Iranian filmmaker alleges presidential poll fix - Jun 13, 2009
- Moussavi calls on Guardian Council to nullify election - Jun 14, 2009
- Ahmadinejad sues senior religious leader for insulting remark - Sep 13, 2009
- Iran rejects Moussavi's request for memorial ceremony - Jul 28, 2009
- Iran's Guardian Council offers Moussavi a deal - Jun 27, 2009
- Iran hangs two protesters, sentences nine to death - Jan 29, 2010
- Ahmadinejad warns opposition ahead of protests - Jun 04, 2010
- Khamenei warns opposition against undermining establishment - Dec 13, 2009
Tags: anonymity, asylum seekers, dpa, german interior minister, green revolution, interior ministry, iranian citizens, iranian dissidents, mahmoud ahmadinejad, moussavi, news magazine, opposition candidate, presidential election, presidential elections, regional ministers, remainder, report said that, spiegel, spokesman, street protests