German chancellor Merkel’s father deadSeptember 4th, 2011 - 6:32 am ICT by IANS
Berlin, Sep 4 (IANS) German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s father has passed away at the age of 85, the chancellor’s office said.
Merkel cancelled her attendance to a scheduled campaign rally, ahead of elections in a state, Xinhua reported.
Horst Kasner passed away Friday. Born in Berlin in 1926, he studied Protestant theology and become a Protestant pastor.
After living in the West German city of Hamburg for many years, Kasner moved to the East German town of Templin, some 80 km from Berlin with his family in the 1950s. Merkel spent her childhood there.
- Joachim Gauck elected German president - Mar 18, 2012
- Germany calls for tougher sanctions against Libya - Mar 24, 2011
- Protesters in Germany demand release of Ai Weiwei - Apr 18, 2011
- Germany, Canada to conduct joint ocean research - Aug 18, 2012
- Christian Wulff nominated as next German president - Jun 03, 2010
- Christian Wulff becomes 10th German president - Jul 02, 2010
- German parliament passes Greece bailout deal - Feb 28, 2012
- German Chancellor Merkel to visit India next year - Dec 12, 2010
- German president steps down over Afghanistan remarks - May 31, 2010
- German president to visit India February 2010 - Dec 15, 2009
- NATO on course for planned Afghan withdrawal: Merkel - May 05, 2012
- Pakistan should know that terrorism is not a means to an end: Merkel - Dec 12, 2010
- Merkel concludes China visit - Feb 04, 2012
- PM arrives in Berlin - Dec 11, 2010
- Putin, Merkel, Gates nominated for Chinese peace prize - Sep 18, 2011
Tags: 1950s, angela merkel, attendance, berlin, campaign rally, chancellor angela merkel, city of hamburg, elections, german chancellor angela merkel, german chancellor merkel, german city, german town, kasner, protestant pastor, protestant theology, west german, xinhua