George Fernandes’ nomination for general polls opposedMarch 17th, 2009 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, March 17 (IANS) Hundreds of Janata Dal-United (JD-U) workers in Bihar are opposing the nomination of ailing leader George Fernandes from his Muzaffarpur constituency for the parliamentary polls in April and May.
“The JD-U will lose the Muzaffarpur seat if Fernandes contests the elections as he is unwell. The party should field a young face to ensure victory,” Hari Om Kushwaha, a member of the party’s state council, said Tuesday.
Fernandes had won the 2004 parliamentary polls from Muzaffarpur but JD-U workers have urged party national president Sharad Yadav and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar to reconsider their decision of renominating the veteran leader.
“The party workers have faxed the resolution opposing Fernandes’s renomination to Sharad Yadav and Nitish Kumar,” said party leader Arun Kumar Patel.
Harendra Kumar, another JD-U leader, claimed that a coterie of sycophants had recommended Fernandes as the candidate with the motive of ensuring the party’s defeat.
Moreover, Kushwaha has urged the Election Commission to prevent Fernandes from contesting the polls as he is allegedly suffering from memory failure.
About two months ago, Fernandes expressed his desire to contest the general elections from Nalanda at a JD-U meeting in Rajgir in Nalanda district. He had won the seat in the 1996, 1998 and 1999 general elections.
However, the party leaders did not support his candidature from Nalanda, which Nitish Kumar won in 2004.
- JD-U to chalk out Bihar poll strategy - Aug 18, 2010
- JD-U rebels form political outfit - Jun 21, 2011
- 11 JD-U MPs face disciplinary action - Mar 08, 2011
- Nitish Kumar elected head of NDA legislature party (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- George Fernandes files nomination for Rajya Sabha by-poll - Jul 30, 2009
- It's Janata Dal 'disunited' in Bihar (Lead) - Jul 27, 2010
- JD-U, Trinamool yet to reach accord in UP - Jan 27, 2012
- Train traffic disrupted, shops closed in Bihar (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- BJP faces criticism from own ranks, allies on Kushwaha issue - Jan 05, 2012
- Fifth phase of Bihar Assembly polls begins amid tight security - Nov 09, 2010
- Nitish may back Ansari as vice president (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- JD-U fields Nitish Kumar's castemen in Nalanda - Oct 04, 2010
- Gakari asks party functionaries, allies to exercise restraint - Jun 26, 2012
- Janata Dal-United rebels hint at new party in Bihar - Jun 20, 2011
- Supported Pranab as NDA did not gain from 2007 contest: Sharad Yadav (Interview) - Jun 23, 2012
Tags: arun kumar, bihar, candidature, chief minister, coterie, election commission, general elections, george fernandes, kumar patel, memory failure, nalanda, national president, nitish kumar, parliamentary polls, party leader, party leaders, rajgir, sharad yadav, sycophants, veteran leader