Geo News telecast blocked in parts of PakistanMarch 14th, 2009 - 12:33 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 13 (IANS) The telecast of Pakistan’s Geo News television channel was blocked in some parts of the country Friday, the channel’s website said.
The channel broadcast has been blocked in parts of Karachi, Hyderabad, Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Lahore, Quetta, Multan, Rawlakot, Muzaffarabad, Deepalpur and Sargodha cities, it said.
According to the channel, government officials have directed the cable operators to place Geo News channel at the ‘tail end’, making it difficult for the viewers to watch the channel.
Opposition leaders including Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) chief Nawaz Sharif, Tehreek-i-Insaf chief Imran khan and Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) leader Babar Khan Ghauri condemned the blocking of Geo News.
Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q) general secretary Mushahid Hussain said the channel was “being punished for airing the truth”.
The Reporters Without Borders has also condemned the blocking of the channel, according to The News newspaper.
- Raja Pervez Ashraf is PPP candidate for PM's post (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Pakistan on the brink of economic collapse, says PML-Q - Jan 22, 2011
- Ready to give up presidency: Zardari - Jan 11, 2012
- Raja Pervez Ashraf elected Pakistan's 25th PM (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Nawaz Sharif re-elected PML-N president - Jul 27, 2011
- Days of landlords are numbered in Pakistan: Imran Khan - Feb 26, 2012
- It's monarchy in Pakistan, not democracy, says Imran - Dec 17, 2011
- Breakthrough eludes Gilani in Pakistan's political crisis (Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- Pakistan elects senators (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Pakistan's opposition walks out of National Assembly over oil price hike - Mar 01, 2011
- Zardari has not offered to resign: Spokesman (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Convicted Gilani must quit, says opposition - Apr 26, 2012
- 'Davis's release put Pakistan's head down with shame' - Mar 22, 2011
- Politics ain't cricket: Pakistani leader on Imran rally - Oct 31, 2011
- No need for Gilani to quit, says Pakistani cabinet - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: broadcast, cable operators, general secretary, geo news channel, geo news pakistan, ghauri, government officials, mushahid hussain, muttahida qaumi movement, news television, opposition leaders, pakistan islamabad, pakistan muslim league, pakistan muslim league nawaz, pml n, quetta, reporters without borders, sargodha, television channel, truth