Geetika suicide: Police arrest Chaddha, Kanda abscondingAugust 8th, 2012 - 11:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 8 (IANS) The now-defunct MDLR Airlines’ official Aruna Chaddha was arrested Wednesday in former flight attendant Geetika Sharma’s suicide case while Geetika’s ex-employer and Haryana’s former minister Gopal Goyal Kanda failed to show up for questioning, police said.
“We have arrested Aruna Chaddha in the case. Kanda is still absconding and we are conducting raids at all the places where he is suspected to be hiding,” Deputy Commissioner of Police P. Karunakaran told IANS.
Charges of criminal intimidation were Tuesday slapped on Kanda and he was summoned for questioning over the suicide of his former employee Geetika, whose body was found hanging in her house in north Delhi’s Ashok Vihar Aug 5.
“Three teams consisting 35 police personnel have been constituted for the search of Kanda. We raided Kanda’s farmhouse at Gawal Pahari on the Gurgaon-Faridabad road in Haryana,” said a police officer.
According to sources, raids were conducted at Kanda’s mansion in the Civil Lines area of Gurgaon and MDLR office.
“Police also raided his hotel Park Plaza in Sushant Lok in Gurgaon,” said a source.
Earlier in the day, lawyers of Kanda approached Delhi Police and sought three days’ time for him to appear before them as they needed time to study the documents sent by the investigators.
Police refused this request and asked Kanda to appear immediately, following which he went into hiding.
Kanda owned the MDLR Airlines where Geetika worked as a flight attendant. After the airlines ceased to function in 2009, she was given a job in another company owned by Kanda.
According to Geetika’s brother, Gaurav Sharma, his sister was being constantly mentally harassed by Kanda and his colleague Aruna Chaddha.
Geetika left a suicide note blaming Kanda and Chaddha for her extreme step, police said.
- Raids continue on Kanda's homes, offices (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Police search Kanda's farmhouse for evidence - Aug 20, 2012
- Kanda's Gurgaon farmhouse, office searched (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Raids on Kanda's homes, offices continue - Aug 09, 2012
- Kanda will be arrested soon, says police (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Police scan Kanda's 400 SMS to Geetika - Aug 12, 2012
- Geetika suicide: Chaddha to be questioned for another day - Aug 11, 2012
- Chaddha's police custody extended by three days - Aug 13, 2012
- Police to question Chaddha for three more days (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Gurgaon women to march for Geetika to Jantar Mantar - Aug 22, 2012
- Geetika suicide: Chaddha sent to two days' police custody (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Kanda close to being nailed in Geetika suicide: Police - Aug 24, 2012
- Geetika suicide: Kanda's kin detained - Aug 11, 2012
- Cops summon Kanda for questioning in Geetika suicide - Aug 08, 2012
- Court again rejects cops' plea seeking Chaddha's custody - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: absconding, ashok, commissioner of police, criminal intimidation, delhi police, deputy commissioner, extreme step, farmhouse, flight attendant, gaurav sharma, haryana, hotel park plaza, kanda, karunakaran, mdlr airlines, north delhi, police arrest, suicide case, suicide note, sushant lok