Gandhi charisma fading? Congress humbled in Rae Bareli, AmethiMarch 6th, 2012 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 6 (IANS) The charisma of the younger Gandhis didn’t seem to have worked, even in the family pocketboroughs in Uttar Pradesh. In a major setback, the Congress has lost all the seats in Rae Bareli, represented in the Lok Sabha by party president Sonia Gandhi.
Four of the seats in Rae Bareli were bagged by the Samajwadi Party while the fifth went to the Peace Party, the Election Commission sources said.
In the five-seat Amethi Lok Sabha constituency, represented by Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi, the Congress is leading in three seats and the SP in two.
Sonia Gandhi’s daughter Priyanka Vadra had promised her mother a perfect 10 in the two constituencies.
“I promise Ma that we will get her all the 10 seats of Rae Bareli and Amethi,” Vadra said while addressing a rally on Valentine’s Day Feb 14.
The setback in the family fiefs has come as a big shock to the party, which was banking on the 41-year-old Rahul Gandhi to set the stage for revival of the party in Uttar Pradesh.
In both Amethi and Rae Bareli not just Rahul but Priyanka also held rallies and unleashed their charm offensive. Despite her ill health, Sonia Gandhi found time to campaign in these family seats, but it looks like the Gandhi charisma didn’t quite charm the people of the constituencies.
“There may be many reasons. We will do our analysis,” said Law Minister Salman Khurshid, a former president of the Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee, when asked to comment on the Congress setbacks in Amethi and Rae Bareli. Khurshid’s wife Louis Khurshid lost from the Farukkhabad assembly seat.
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, slam Mayawati (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Vote for change, Priyanka Gandhi urges UP voters - Feb 03, 2012
- Rahul in Amethi to 're-motivate' Congress workers - Apr 30, 2012
- Rahul not working for his reputation in UP: Priyanka - Feb 05, 2012
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi offers to resign over UP results (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Priyanka open to campaigning, 'anything to help' Rahul - Jan 17, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, flay Mayawati (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Priyanka returns to campaign in Amethi (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Should I join politics, Priyanka asks rival parties - Feb 05, 2012
- Congress trailing in Rae Bareli - Mar 06, 2012
- Priyanka returns to campaign in Amethi - Jan 16, 2012
- Election results a huge blow for Rahul, Congress (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- All eyes on Lucknow in fourth phase of UP polls - Feb 18, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli - Feb 14, 2012
- Samajwadi Party not to fight in Rae Bareli in 2014 - Sep 13, 2012
Tags: amethi, assembly seat, charm offensive, congress committee, election commission, fiefs, gandhis, general secretary, ill health, law minister, Lok Sabha, party president, peace party, priyanka vadra, rae bareli, rahul gandhi, sabha constituency, Samajwadi Party, sonia gandhi, valentine s day