Gadkari elected unopposed as BJP presidentFebruary 9th, 2010 - 4:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 9 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Nitin Gadkari was elected unopposed as the party’s national president for a term of three years here Tuesday.
He was announced winner by the party’s general secretary Thawarchand Gehlot after the organisational elections held here Tuesday.
“A total of 18 nominations were received from 18 states - all in favour of Gadkari. He had filed the nomination papers in December,” said a party functionary.
The 53-year-old leader succeeds Rajnath Singh. His election will be ratified at BJP’s national executive meeting at Indore later this month.
Senior BJP leader L.K. Advani, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, Rajnath Singh and M. Venkaiah Naidu were also present on the occasion.
- BJP delegation meets president to discuss Lokpal bill (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- BJP to campaign for Sangma - Jun 28, 2012
- BJP core group to discuss Karnataka situation today - Oct 12, 2010
- BJP leaders meet president on 'parliament subversion' (Second Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Smriti Irani to head BJP's women's cell - Jun 15, 2010
- BJP national executive meet begins - Jun 12, 2010
- BJP to contest presidential poll, undecided on candidate - Jun 19, 2012
- BJP leaders to meet PM for recall of Karnataka governor - Oct 13, 2010
- Khanduri to be Uttarakhand chief minister again (Lead) - Sep 10, 2011
- BJP faces revolt over Rajya Sabha nomination (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Ayodhya judgement new chapter for national unity: Advani (Lead) - Sep 30, 2010
- BJP elects Nitin Gadkari as its new chief - Feb 09, 2010
- BJP reorganizes various wings, Smriti Irani to lead Mahila Morcha - Jun 15, 2010
- BJP tells Patil to reconvene parliament for Lokpal bill (Third Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Shettar is Karnataka's new chief minister (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
Tags: bjp president, elections, executive meeting, favour, general secretary, indore, l k advani, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, national president, New Delhi, nitin, nomination papers, rajnath singh, sushma swaraj, unopposed, venkaiah naidu