Gadkari defends Jaitely on WikiLeaks exposeMarch 27th, 2011 - 10:52 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, March 27 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Nitin Gadkari Sunday defended senior party colleague Arun Jaitley on a leaked US embassy cable which referred to the latter’s purported remark on Hindu nationalism being “opportunistic”.
The cable, released by WikiLeaks, suggested that an American diplomat purportedly wrote that Jaitley had remarked during a meeting that the BJP’s Hindu nationalism was an “opportunistic” issue.
“Jaitely denied the allegation when I spoke to him on the issue. Jaitely’s remark were a wrong interpretation,” said Gadkari here Sunday at a press conference.
He said: “Jaitely is a dedicated party worker.”
Jaitley maintained last week that he had not used the term “opportunistic” in reference to Hindu nationalism and that it was “neither my view nor my language”.
The cable from the charge d’affaires at the US embassy here to Washington on the diplomat’s meeting with the BJP leader on May 6, 2005, had said: “Pressed on the question of Hindutva, Jaitley argued that Hindu nationalism ‘will always be a talking point’ for the BJP. However, he characterised this as an opportunistic issue.”
It also said that in India’s northeast, for instance, Hindutva played well because of public anxiety about illegal migration of Muslims from Bangladesh.
Jaitley, in a statement, said the cable reflected his views on cross-border terrorism, illegal infiltration from Bangladesh and the unfair denial of US visa to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
“However, the use of the word ‘opportunistic’ in reference to nationalism or Hindu nationalism is neither my view nor my language. It could be the diplomat’s own usage,” he said.
- Jaitley dismisses Wikileaks expose - Mar 26, 2011
- Arun Jaitley denies 'opportunistic' remark in WikiLeaks cable - Mar 26, 2011
- Facing attack, Jaitley again clarifies on 'opportunistic' WikiLeaks - Mar 28, 2011
- Sibal pulls up BJP over WikiLeaks revelations - Mar 27, 2011
- Jaitley hopes Congress takes WikiLeaks cable on cash for vote scam seriously - Mar 28, 2011
- WikiLeaks revelations: Congress sharpens attack on Jaitley - Mar 27, 2011
- BJP opportunistic, says Sibal - Mar 27, 2011
- Hindutva sheet anchor of our ideological thinking, says RSS - Mar 28, 2011
- BJP used religion as opportunistic tool: Congress (Lead) - Mar 27, 2011
- BJP faces WikiLeaks heat on India-US deal (Lead) - Mar 19, 2011
- WikiLeaks disclosure: Allegations totally baseless, says Sharma - Mar 17, 2011
- Government must go, says opposition after WikiLeaks disclosures (Afternoon Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- BJP has lost moral right to question: Congress - Mar 30, 2011
- No double standards on n-deal, want WikiLeaks probed: BJP - Mar 19, 2011
- Go Manmohan, says opposition after WikiLeaks expose (Intro-Roundup) - Mar 17, 2011
Tags: allegation, american diplomat, bangladesh, bjp leader, chief minister, colleague, cross border, denial, gujarat, hindu nationalism, hindutva, illegal infiltration, illegal migration, muslims, narendra, nitin, public anxiety, terrorism, visa, wikileaks