Gaddafi’s son Saif capturedNovember 19th, 2011 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
Tripoli, Nov 19 (IANS) Saif al-Islam, son of former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, was captured in southern Libya Saturday, Xinhua reported.
A military official said he was captured in Sebha.
Thousands of Tripoli residents came out on the streets to celebrate after the news of Saif’s capture spread.
“We have captured Saif,” said Bobkar Bobmala, a military officer of the ruling National Transitional Council (NTC).
“The NTC will give more details in a few hours,” he said, adding that Saif may be transferred to Zintan city, about 100 km from Tripoli.
“This is a historic moment for the new born Libya,” said soldier Assad Arabi. “He and his father killed so many people, now it’s time for them to pay back,” he said.
Saif has been on the run since the National Transitional Council’s forces took over Tripoli in late August.
The International Criminal Court had issued warrants on June 27 against him, his father and former intelligence chief Abdullah al-Senussi on charges of crimes against humanity.
Muammar Gaddafi was killed Oct 20 soon after his capture by rebel forces during the final battle for his hometown Sirte.
Gaddafi had ruled Libya for over four decades till he was overthrown in a popular revolution that started in February.
- Libyan interim PM assures fair trial of Gaddafi's son (Lead) - Nov 20, 2011
- Russia urges fair trial for captured Saif al-Islam - Nov 20, 2011
- Gaddafi's youngest son Khamis still alive? - Nov 22, 2011
- Gaddafi's son ready to surrender in international court - Oct 27, 2011
- Finally, a hunted Gaddafi bleeds to death - Oct 20, 2011
- Rebels tighten grip on Tripoli, capture Gaddafi's sons - Aug 22, 2011
- Gaddafi's son to stand trial in September - Aug 24, 2012
- NTC seeks Gaddafi family's extradition - Oct 21, 2011
- Gaddafi's son vows to avenge father's death - Oct 23, 2011
- Gaddafi's son will face justice: ICC prosecutor - Nov 10, 2011
- Muammar Gaddafi buried at secret location in desert - Oct 25, 2011
- Gaddafi's son offered rebels $2 bn for his release - Nov 20, 2011
- Gaddafi hiding in western border area: Rebels - Sep 28, 2011
- Gaddafi's son Seif al-Islam held: Report - Oct 21, 2011
- Gaddafi killing smacks of war crime: Prosecutor - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: assad, crimes against humanity, former intelligence, intelligence chief, international criminal court, june 27, late august, libyan leader muammar, libyan leader muammar gaddafi, military officer, military official, muammar gaddafi, national transitional council, new born, rebel forces, saif al islam, southern libya, tripoli, warrants, xinhua