Gaddafi’s rule in Libya has come to an end: ObamaAugust 22nd, 2011 - 11:44 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 22 (IANS) US President Barack Obama said Sunday that Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s rule in the country has come to an end and asked him to relinquish “power once and for all”.
“Tonight, the momentum against the Gaddafi regime has reached a tipping point,” Obama said in a statement issued by the White House.
“The Gaddafi regime is showing signs of collapsing.”
Obama’s statement came after Libyan rebel forces seized control of much of Tripoli and taken two of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi’s sons into custody. However, the whereabouts of Gaddafi, who vowed to fight to the last drop of blood, is still unknown.
“Muammar Gaddafi and his regime need to recognize that their rule has come to an end,” Obama said, adding that “Gaddafi needs to acknowledge the reality that he no longer controls Libya.”
The US president also called on the main opposition group, the National Transitional Council (NTC), to “steer the country through a transition by respecting the rights of the people of Libya, avoiding civilian casualties, protecting the institutions of the Libyan state, and pursuing a transition to democracy that is just and inclusive for all of the people of Libya”.
He said the people of Libya are showing that the pursuit of dignity and freedom is far stronger than the “iron fist of a dictator”.
Obama vowed that the US will continue to “insist that the basic rights of the Libyan people are respected” and “support the peaceful transition of democracy”.
Obama, who is on vacation on the island of Martha’s Vineyard off the Massachusetts coast, closely monitored the developments in Libya Sunday.
- Rebels tighten grip on Tripoli, capture Gaddafi's sons - Aug 22, 2011
- Gaddafi's youngest son Khamis still alive? - Nov 22, 2011
- Muammar Gaddafi buried at secret location in desert - Oct 25, 2011
- Still no idea about Gaddafi's whereabouts: NTC - Sep 20, 2011
- Obama urges Libya to start reconciliation process - Oct 24, 2011
- Libyan rebels search for Gaddafi (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- New rulers declare Libya officially liberated - Oct 24, 2011
- UN chief vows to support Libya's reconstruction - Nov 03, 2011
- China recognises Libya's NTC as ruling authority - Sep 12, 2011
- Finally, a hunted Gaddafi bleeds to death - Oct 20, 2011
- Libyan rebels seek financial help from Spain - Jul 22, 2011
- Libyan rebels to move headquarters to Tripoli - Aug 24, 2011
- Turmoil rages in Libya, UN slaps sanctions (Roundup) - Feb 27, 2011
- Libya elects Abdurrahim El-Keib as interim Prime Minister - Nov 01, 2011
- US lifts most sanctions against Libya - Dec 17, 2011
Tags: barack obama, civilian casualties, colonel muammar gaddafi, dictator, dignity, drop of blood, gaddafi regime, iron fist, libya, libyan leader muammar, libyan leader muammar gaddafi, massachusetts coast, momentum, muammar gaddafi, national transitional council, opposition group, peaceful transition, rebel forces, tipping point, tripoli