Gaddafi’s $25 mn Italian hotel complex seizedMay 17th, 2012 - 9:35 am ICT by IANS
Rome, May 17 (IANS/AKI) A 20-million euro ($25 million) hotel complex and land owned in Italy by the family of slain Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi have been seized.
The complex is on the picturesque southern island of Pantelleria.
Before his death, Gaddafi was rumoured to be planning to build a holiday village on Pantelleria, located halfway between Sicily and the Tunisian coast and famed for its crystalline blue waters and unspoilt beaches.
Wednesday’s seizures on Pantelleria were ordered by a Rome court following the 1.1 billion euros of Gaddafi family assets impounded by Italian tax police in March.
That seizure was made at a request by the International Criminal Court in The Hague, which is seeking the extradition of Gaddafi’s son, Saif al-Islam, on charges of crimes against humanity.
Among the assets seized in March held by Libyan sovereign wealth funds was a 1.3 percent stake in Italy’s largest bank, UniCredit, and a 0.6 percent stake in oil major Eni, the top foreign energy producer in Libya.
Under Gaddafi, Libya briefly held the biggest single stake in UniCredit.
Other confiscated stocks included a two percent stake of Italian aerospace and defence giant Finmeccanica, a 0.3 percent stake in car maker Fiat and truck maker Fiat Industrial.
Police said they also confiscated stock in Serie A football club Juventus, where one of Gaddafi’s sons, Saadi, who is now reportedly hiding in Niger, used to be on the board.
The assets — a business empire built by Gaddafi starting in the 1970s — had already been frozen after the start of the Libyan conflict last year. Police said it took time to work out the exact owners of the funds.
- Italy seizes Gaddafi assets worth $1.4 bn - Mar 30, 2012
- Italy may freeze 3.6 bn euros of Libyan assets - Mar 02, 2011
- Gaddafi son's luxury car seized by Italian police - Jul 06, 2012
- American investor group to buy AS Roma football club - Mar 30, 2011
- Italy takes control of Libyan bank - Mar 15, 2011
- Nearly 50 mafia men held in Italy - Jun 07, 2012
- Libya ranks among world's largest sovereign wealth funds - Mar 03, 2011
- Italy calls on Gaddafi to surrender - Aug 22, 2011
- 15 bn euros of mafia wealth seized in Italy - Jun 12, 2012
- Italian oil giant strikes new deal with Libya - Aug 30, 2011
- I feel betrayed by Europe, especially Berlusconi: Gaddafi - Mar 16, 2011
- Italy not to bomb Libya, says Berlusconi - Apr 16, 2011
- Berlusconi breaks into Latin on Gaddafi's death - Oct 21, 2011
- 180 fake paintings seized in Italy - May 04, 2012
- Nearly 200 kg cocaine seized in Italy port - Sep 08, 2012
Tags: blue waters, business empire, car maker, crimes against humanity, energy producer, family assets, finmeccanica, football club juventus, hotel complex, international criminal court, italian hotel, libyan leader muammar, libyan leader muammar gaddafi, muammar gaddafi, pantelleria, saadi, saif al islam, tax police, tunisian coast, unspoilt beaches