Gaddafi not in Tripoli any more?May 14th, 2011 - 8:03 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 14 (IANS) Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi has probably fled the capital city of Tripoli and was “most likely” wounded in NATO air strikes, Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini has said.
Frattini said he believed the leader could have fled Tripoli to “seek refuge in a safe place”, the Daily Express reported.
He said he believed claims by Tripoli’s Catholic bishop, Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli - who was in contact with the leader’s group - that Gaddafi was “most probably outside Tripoli and probably even wounded”.
Martinelli’s office believed that Gaddafi had left for the Tunisian capital, but Frattini said he did not think that he had left the country.
“Libya is a big country, with desert areas,” he said.
However, Gaddafi’s spokesman dismissed the claims as “nonsense”.
Mussa Ibrahim said: “The leader is in good spirits and unharmed.”
- Italy calls on Gaddafi to surrender - Aug 22, 2011
- Gaddafi spokesman captured - Sep 30, 2011
- Berlusconi to meet Libya's rebel leader - Aug 24, 2011
- Gaddafi's family not in Tunisia: Official - Aug 20, 2011
- Two Libyan journalists killed in NATO raid: Official - May 13, 2011
- Gaddafi's elder son Mohammad escapes from rebels - Aug 23, 2011
- Gaddafi fled on golf cart through tunnel? - Aug 26, 2011
- Tunisia extradites ex-Libyan prime minister - Jun 25, 2012
- Gaddafi wandered Tripoli streets in disguise - Aug 24, 2011
- Rebels tighten grip on Tripoli, capture Gaddafi's sons - Aug 22, 2011
- NTC seeks Gaddafi family's extradition - Oct 21, 2011
- William Hague says UK might accept Gaddafi going into exile to end Libyan crisis - Mar 30, 2011
- Gaddafi plans to blow up Tripoli if captured - Jul 14, 2011
- 10 killed in Libyan town: report - Feb 25, 2011
- Gaddafi appears on TV, scotches rumours of fleeing - Feb 22, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,