Gaddafi killing smacks of war crime: ProsecutorDecember 16th, 2011 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 16 (IANS) The killing of former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi by rebel forces “creates suspicions” of war crimes, the chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) has said.
Luis Moreno-Ocampo said the ICC was raising the concern with Libya’s ruling National Transitional Council (NTC), BBC reported Friday.
“I think the way in which Gaddafi was killed creates suspicions of war crimes,” Moreno-Ocampo was quoted as saying.
Gaddafi was killed Oct 20 in his home town of Sirte. Rebel fighters found him hiding in a concrete drainage pipe.
Amateur videos taken at the time of Gaddafi’s capture showed him injured but alive, surrounded by a crowd of rebel fighters. He is seen hustled through the crowd and beaten on several occasions. He then disappears into the crowd and gunfire is heard.
NTC officials initially said he died in crossfire, but promised to investigate.
The ICC chief prosecutor said: “I think that’s a very important issue. We are raising this concern to the national authorities and they are preparing a plan to have a comprehensive strategy to investigate all these crimes.”
Gaddafi had gone into hiding in August, six months after the Libyan uprising began.
His son Mutassim was captured alive along with him but died in rebel custody.
Another of Gaddafi’s sons, Saif al-Islam, will be tried for alleged war crimes.
- Gaddafi's fugitive son says he is innocent - Oct 29, 2011
- ICC probes gender crimes in Libya, calls for efforts to prevent escape of Gaddafi's son - Nov 03, 2011
- ICC in possible surrender talks with Gaddafi's son - Oct 29, 2011
- Gaddafi's son will face justice: ICC prosecutor - Nov 10, 2011
- Gaddafi's son vows to avenge father's death - Oct 23, 2011
- ICC prosecutor requests arrest warrants for Libyans for alleged crimes against humanity - May 04, 2011
- Interpol issues arrest warrants against Gaddafi - Sep 09, 2011
- ICC requests arrest warrant against Libya's Muammar Gaddafi - May 17, 2011
- Libyan interim PM assures fair trial of Gaddafi's son (Lead) - Nov 20, 2011
- NTC seeks Gaddafi family's extradition - Oct 21, 2011
- Gaddafi hiding in western border area: Rebels - Sep 28, 2011
- Muammar Gaddafi buried at secret location in desert - Oct 25, 2011
- Russia urges fair trial for captured Saif al-Islam - Nov 20, 2011
- Gaddafi gave sex drugs, ordered rape of women? - Jun 09, 2011
- Finally, a hunted Gaddafi bleeds to death - Oct 20, 2011
Tags: amateur videos, chief prosecutor, crossfire, drainage pipe, gunfire, international criminal court, libyan leader muammar, libyan leader muammar gaddafi, luis moreno ocampo, muammar gaddafi, national authorities, national transitional council, ntc, pipe amateur, rebel fighters, rebel forces, saif al islam, suspicions, war crime, war crimes