Gaddafi hiding in western border area: RebelsSeptember 28th, 2011 - 11:01 pm ICT by IANS
Tripoli, Sep 28 (IANS) Ousted Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi is hiding near the western town of Ghadamis under the protection of African nomadic fighters, a rebel official told CNN.
“We have reliable information that Gaddafi is protected by the Tuareg tribe located between Niger, Algeria, and Ghadamis town in Libya,” Col. Abdul Basit, military spokesman of the interim government, was quoted as saying.
Ghadamis town lies in western Libya on the border with Algeria.
Basit said Gaddafi’s son Saif al-Islam was in Bani Walid and another son, Mutassim, was in Sirte. Both cities still remain under the control of forces loyal to Gaddafi.
His statement, however, could not be verified, CNN said.
The rebel National Transitional Council (NTC) has in the past made claims that turned out to be false.
The International Criminal Court at The Hague, Netherlands, has issued arrest warrants for Gaddafi and Saif. They are wanted for alleged crimes against humanity committed after the start of the uprising in February.
- NTC seeks Gaddafi family's extradition - Oct 21, 2011
- Libyan interim PM assures fair trial of Gaddafi's son (Lead) - Nov 20, 2011
- Gaddafi's fugitive son says he is innocent - Oct 29, 2011
- Finally, a hunted Gaddafi bleeds to death - Oct 20, 2011
- Gaddafi killing smacks of war crime: Prosecutor - Dec 16, 2011
- Muammar Gaddafi buried at secret location in desert - Oct 25, 2011
- Gaddafi's son Saif captured - Nov 19, 2011
- Still no idea about Gaddafi's whereabouts: NTC - Sep 20, 2011
- Libyan rebel government to move to Tripoli next week - Sep 04, 2011
- Russia urges fair trial for captured Saif al-Islam - Nov 20, 2011
- Gaddafi denies fleeing to Niger - Sep 08, 2011
- Gaddafi's son to stand trial in September - Aug 24, 2012
- Rebels tighten grip on Tripoli, capture Gaddafi's sons - Aug 22, 2011
- Gaddafi says he is still in Libya - Sep 27, 2011
- Gaddafi's son ready to surrender in international court - Oct 27, 2011
Tags: arrest warrants, bani walid, border area, cnn, crimes against humanity, hague netherlands, interim government, international criminal court, libya, libyan leader muammar, libyan leader muammar gaddafi, military spokesman, muammar gaddafi, national transitional council, ntc, rebels, saif al islam, tripoli, tuareg tribe, uprising