Gaddafi declares ‘holy war’ against SwitzerlandFebruary 26th, 2010 - 5:25 pm ICT by IANS
Benghazi (Libya), Feb 26 (IANS/AKI) Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi has declared a jihad against Switzerland in a worsening diplomatic row between the two countries.
Gaddafi criticised a recent Swiss vote against the building of minarets and called for Muslims to boycott the country.
“If Switzerland was our neighbour we would declare war,” Gaddafi said late Thursday in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi at an event to mark the birth anniversary of Prophet Mohammed.
“Muslims need to mobilise in all the Islamic countries of the world and refuse to allow Swiss planes to land, their ships to dock or allow Swiss products enter their countries.”
Libya’s relations with Switzerland soured when Gaddafi’s son Hannibal was detained in a Swiss jail after he and his wife were accused of beating their servants in Geneva in July 2008.
The north African country has withdrawn billions of dollars from Swiss banks and last week began turning Europeans away from the country, after Bern issued a blacklist banning 180 Libyans, including Gaddafi, from entering the country.
“Let us wage jihad against Switzerland, Zionism and foreign aggression,” he said.
“Any Muslim in any part of the world who works with Switzerland is an apostate, is against Mohammed, God and the Koran.”
Swiss nationals voted 57.5 percent in favour of a minaret ban in a referendum backed by the right-wing Swiss People’s Party in November.
The government has urged voters to reject it, warning it would contravene religious freedom.
The Swiss foreign ministry said it had no comment on Gaddafi’s remarks.
- Fugitive Libyan ex-spy chief extradited from Mauritania - Sep 06, 2012
- Libya bans Europeans - Feb 16, 2010
- Egyptair resumes flights to Tripoli - Nov 18, 2011
- Gaddafi's daughter sick after seeing dead father on TV - Oct 22, 2011
- Gaddafi's daughter gives birth to baby girl in Algeria - Aug 30, 2011
- New rulers declare Libya officially liberated - Oct 24, 2011
- Italy calls on Gaddafi to surrender - Aug 22, 2011
- Fighter plane shot down, rebels evicted from Benghazi (Lead) - Mar 19, 2011
- Italy's oil giant Eni restarts production in Libya - Sep 26, 2011
- Gaddafi's wife, three children cross into Algeria - Aug 30, 2011
- Muslims should 'empty' Swiss accounts: Turkish minister - Dec 03, 2009
- Italian oil giant strikes new deal with Libya - Aug 30, 2011
- Libyan protesters in contact with Italy - Mar 10, 2011
- Gaddafi wandered Tripoli streets in disguise - Aug 24, 2011
- Rebels offer $1.3 mn bounty for Gaddafi - Aug 25, 2011
Tags: apostate, benghazi libya, birth anniversary, countries of the world, diplomatic row, holy war, islamic countries, libyan leader muammar, libyan leader muammar gaddafi, libyans, minarets, muammar gaddafi, prophet mohammed, religious freedom, swiss banks, swiss nationals, swiss people, swiss products, swiss vote, zionism