G K Pillai is new home secretaryJune 5th, 2009 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 5 (IANS)Commerce Secretary G.K. Pillai was Friday named the new home secretary and will take over from incumbent Madhukar Gupta, who retires June 30.
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh cleared Pillai’s name.
Pillai, 59, is a 1972-batch Kerala-cadre IAS officer. He had earlier served as joint secretary in the home ministry and was in charge of northeast affairs.
Pillai’s name was also tossed around for the defence secretary’s post as Vijay Singh, the present incumbent, retires July 31.
Gupta, who was granted an extension of three months because of the general elections is expected to be made a governor, said government sources.
- R.K. Singh to succeed Pillai as home secretary (Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- R.K. Singh named home secretary (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Newsmaker Pillai bids Home adieu for home (Profile) - Jun 30, 2011
- Pradeep Kumar is next CVC: Sources (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- R.K. Singh is new home secretary - Jun 24, 2011
- Pillai opts out of CVC race - Jun 27, 2011
- Cabinet secretary gets a year's extension - Jun 01, 2009
- Pradeep Kumar, IIT alumnus, is new CVC: Sources (Second Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- R Gopalan appointed Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs - Jan 31, 2011
- Coming soon, new faces at top of bureaucratic pyramid - May 15, 2011
- Shashi Kant Sharma next defence secretary - Jul 07, 2011
- Happy at being picked as CVC: Pradeep Kumar - Jul 03, 2011
- Ajit Seth is new cabinet secretary (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Rahul Khullar is new commerce secretary - Jun 05, 2009
- R.K. Singh takes over as new home secretary - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: appointments committee, commerce secretary, defence secretary, general elections, government sources, gupta, home ministry, home secretary, incumbent, madhukar, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, pillai, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, three months, vijay singh