Fugitive in Berlusconi sex scandal arrestedApril 16th, 2012 - 11:04 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, April 16 (IANS/AKI) A man accused of involvement in a sex scandal along with former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi was arrested Monday after having been on the run for six months.
Valter Lavitola, former director and editor of newspaper Avanti!, was arrested at Rome’s Leonardo Da Vinci airport upon the arrival of his flight from Buenos Aires. He was taken to a prison in Naples.
Prosecutors in September last year had issued an arrest warrant for Lavitola on suspicion of having the job of passing money from Berlusconi to businessman Giampaolo Tarantini and his wife Angela Devenuto.
The couple were allegedly blackmailing the former prime minister over a sex scandal involving prostitutes provided by Tarantini for Berlusconi’s sex parties.
Lavitola allegedly telephoned Berlusconi from Sofia, Bulgaria to ask him if he should come home to answer prosecutors’ questions.
According to excerpts of wiretaps released by L’Espresso weekly magazine, Lavitola asked Berlusconi: “What should I do, return and clear everything up?”
“Stay where you are,” Berlusconi advised him, according to the transcript.
Blackmail charges against Tarantini and Devenuto have been dropped.
Prosecutors now say Berlusconi paid money to Tarantini for a false testimony that Berlusconi did not realise the women were prostitutes.
The former prime minister is on trial for allegedly paying a minor for sex. He denies the charges.
- Italian held on suspicion of extorting money from Berlusconi - Sep 01, 2011
- Berlusconi faces witness manipulating charges - Apr 20, 2012
- Dinner parties turned into the unspeakable: Berlusconi - Oct 22, 2011
- Teenaged dancer asked Berlusconi for 5 mn euros for her silence - Jan 19, 2011
- Italy's senate passes wiretap restrictions bill - Jun 11, 2010
- Ruby the heart stealer gives birth to girl - Dec 21, 2011
- Italian model says Ruby offered him 4,000 euros for sex - Jun 16, 2012
- Berlusconi dismisses new escort claims as trash (Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
- Judge dismisses Berlusconi tax-evasion case - Jun 28, 2012
- Berlusconi aide to act in porn movie - Aug 20, 2012
- Prosecutors to request Berlusconi trial over 'Rubygate' - Feb 09, 2011
- Berlusconi's female escort reveals all in new book - Nov 24, 2009
- Berlusconi vows to sue state over sex allegations - Feb 10, 2011
- Berlusconi's luxurious spa weekend with 'young women' disclosed - Jul 12, 2009
- Italian PM's sex trial adjourned - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: arrest warrant, blackmail, false testimony, former italian prime minister silvio berlusconi, former prime minister, italian prime minister, l espresso, leonardo da vinci, leonardo da vinci airport, prime minister silvio, prime minister silvio berlusconi, prosecutors, prostitutes, sex parties, sex scandal, silvio berlusconi, sofia bulgaria, tarantini, wife angela, wiretaps