Fuel price hike a necessity but no decision yet: Jaipal ReddyMay 22nd, 2012 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, May 22 (IANS) Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister S. Jaipal Reddy Tuesday said no decision had been taken on increasing fuel prices in the country but added that it was “an immediate necessity”.
On his way to Ashgabat (Turkmenistan) for the signing of an agreement on the Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India oil pipeline, Reddy told reporters here that the rupee’s depreciation against the US dollar would further cause a loss of thousands of crores of rupees to oil companies.
“They (oil companies) are not demanding (fuel price hike) but that is an immediate necessity,” Reddy said.
“When and how to do this, I cannot predict now. No decision has been taken as yet. We will talk to all political parties (before taking a decision on the hike),” Reddy said.
“The rupee is depreciating day by day. With the depreciating rupee, the oil companies will suffer a loss of Rs.72,000 crore this year,” he said, expressing concern at the development.
Reddy pointed out that for every rupee that the currency (rupee) depreciated against the US dollar, the oil companies suffer a loss of Rs.8,000 crore.
“The US dollar has crossed Rs.55 mark. It was Rs.46 per dollar last year,” he pointed out.
Oil companies have been asking the government to allow them to hike fuel prices, both petrol and diesel, in view of their losses, but that has not been allowed so far as this could lead to inflation in the country.
- Petrol price hiked by Rs.6.28 plus taxes, industry welcomes move (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Petrol price hiked by Rs.7, opposition and allies fret (Intro Roundup) - May 23, 2012
- Government hikes diesel price by Rs.five a litre (Second lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Petrol price hiked by Rs.7, opposition and allies fret (Roundup) - May 23, 2012
- Oil marketers to incur loss of Rs.121,000 crore in current fiscal - Oct 10, 2011
- 'Oil companies will decide on petrol price hike' - Nov 02, 2011
- Forced to hike petrol prices, say government, oil firms - Nov 04, 2011
- Decision on fuel prices deferred, CCPA meet postponed - Sep 11, 2012
- No plans to raise diesel prices, roll back petrol rate: Jaipal - Jan 20, 2011
- Decision on petrol price rollback in a few days: Reddy (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Oil companies to bear Rs.121,571 crore under-recoveries: Reddy - Oct 19, 2011
- No government role in petrol price hike: Pranab - Nov 05, 2011
- Government stands by on petrol hike, allies protest (Roundup) - May 25, 2012
- Diesel price hiked by Rs 5, opposition slams 'anti-people' move (Roundup) - Sep 14, 2012
- Oil firms mulling another price hike - Nov 01, 2011
Tags: afghanistan pakistan, amritsar, crores, depreciation, diesel, fuel price hike, fuel prices, india oil, inflation, jaipal reddy, natural gas, oil companies, oil pipeline, pakistan india, petrol, petroleum, political parties, rs 8, rupee, rupees