From 340 rooms to four, temporary digs await Pratibha PatilJuly 20th, 2012 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 20 (IANS) After the 340 rooms of Rashtrapati Bhavan, a four bedroom bungalow here will be President Pratibha Patil’s temporary residence after she steps down July 24 before moving into her retirement home in Pune in about a month.
“Bungalow No.2 on Tughlaq Lane has been allotted to Pratibha Patil and she is scheduled to move in on or before July 25,” an official of the Central Public Works Department (CPWD) told IANS.
Under the ministry of urban development, the CPWD is responsible for constructing and maintaining the government’s residential and office complexes.
Brisk work is on to give final touches to the premises.
Surrounded by trees, the bungalow, which is painted in white, has a lush green lawn.
“It took us barely 15 days to work on the bungalow, which is now absolutely ready. We started the work on July 1 and it has been nicely done up,” said another CPWD offcial, without giving any more details.
According to officials, CPWD received a letter on June 27 asking it to prepare the bungalow for Patil.
“We have made some changes as requested by her. We have carved out a small puja room in a portion of house,” the official told IANS.
“We also have added some security features,” the official added.
Among Patil’s neighbours will be Congress general secretary and Lok Sabha MP Rahul Gandhi.
Planing Commission member secretary Sudha Pillai had previously occupied the bungalow. She vacated it on her retirement earlier this year.
Raigad, a bungalow in Pune, has been selected as Patil’s retirement home. Formalities are underway to transfer it to the CPWD for refurbishment. This process is likely take a month.
- Pratibha Patil's new Pune retirement home not yet ready - Jul 22, 2012
- President hosts farewell tea for media - Jul 17, 2012
- Tradition meets pomp as Pranab sworn in president (Second Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Under pressure, president forgoes post-retirement Pune home (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Patil's presidency smooth but lacklustre - Jul 24, 2012
- President forgoes post-retirement accommodation in Pune (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- President Patil's office rejects land-grab charges - Apr 12, 2012
- Presidential changeover with 'hazar salam', buggy ride - Jul 21, 2012
- Colour and ceremony as President Pranab takes office (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- President forgoes post-retirement accommodation in Pune - Apr 27, 2012
- President greets the nation on Durga Puja - Oct 03, 2011
- Rent dues notice to Meira Kumar withdrawn - May 08, 2012
- President greets the nation for New Year - Dec 31, 2011
- Patil greets guests 'At Home', Thai PM says Namaste India - Jan 26, 2012
- Mounted bodyguards, hazar sallam - Regal grandeur marks Pranab's swearing-in - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: bedroom bungalow, commission member, cpwd, final touches, formalities, general secretary, Lok Sabha, member secretary, neighbours, office complexes, pillai, president pratibha patil, puja room, pune, rahul gandhi, rashtrapati bhavan, refurbishment, retirement home, sudha, temporary residence