‘Friends of BJP’ campaign in Delhi sees large crowdMarch 27th, 2009 - 12:13 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 26 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party’s ‘Friends of BJP’ campaign launched in the capital Thursday evening saw an enthusiastic crowd voice support for the party ahead of the elections.
“Friend of BJP - Because India deserves better” is floated by a group of young professionals, entrepreneurs and common citizens. The group has already had meetings in Mumbai, Pune and Bangalore.
Launching the campaign at FICCI auditorium here, BJP general secretary Arun Jaitley slammed the Congress for “poor handling” of the country’s economy and security and “dynasty politics”.
Jaitley called Prime Minister Manmohan Singh a “night watchman” of the Congress.
“Like in cricket we have a night watchman, the (Congress) government has Manmohan Singh,” Jaitley said. Night watchman is a lower-order Test batsman who bats higher up the order than usual near the end of the day’s play to protect other, more capable batsmen from being out cheaply in what may be a period of tiredness or in poor light.
Over 1,200 people attended the programme of who around 500 signed for the campaign.
“I got am SMS about this programme a few days ago. I support the BJP as they work for development more than anything else,” Bhaskar Reddy, 33, who works with a private company, told IANS.
Some of the young participants even expressed their desire to see Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi at the helm.
“We love Narendra Modi and he should be the one to rule the country,” said east Delhi businessman Parminder Singh. His brother and business partner Pyara Singh echoed the statement.
- Narendra Modi kickstarts poll campaign in Gujarat - Sep 11, 2012
- Campaign picks up for Bihar polls - Oct 16, 2010
- How will assembly polls affect Congress? - Jan 30, 2012
- Modi steps up attack on Congress-led UPA - Jun 10, 2012
- Modi's 2002 cannot be washed away -- so soon - Sep 18, 2011
- Modi's absence, talk of PM candidate, cloud BJP meet (Roundup) - Sep 30, 2011
- Modi and Vaghela on fast track politics in Gujarat - Sep 16, 2011
- Vajpayee, Modi among BJP's star campaigners - Jan 09, 2012
- National leaders to campaign in Bengal next week - Apr 08, 2011
- Fear of Modi more among BJP leaders: Aiyar - Sep 17, 2011
- Facing attack, Jaitley again clarifies on 'opportunistic' WikiLeaks - Mar 28, 2011
- Narendra Modi takes pot shots at Manmohan, Kalmadi - Mar 19, 2012
- Joshi vs Modi: no clear winner in tangled BJP web (Comment) - Jun 09, 2012
- BJP paints itself into corner on coalgate (Comment) - Aug 25, 2012
- Modi appreciators being victimised, says BJP - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: arun jaitley, bharatiya janata party, chief minister, congress government, east delhi, enthusiastic crowd, general secretary, gujarat, large crowd, manmohan, manmohan singh, night watchman, parminder singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, pyara, test batsman, tiredness, voice support, young professionals