Fresh twist in Anwar Ibrahim’s sodomy trialAugust 2nd, 2010 - 12:45 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Aug 2 (IANS) Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim’s sodomy trial has got a new twist following reports of “romantic relations” between the man who is alleged to have been sodomised and a lady prosecutor.
Attorney General Abdul Gani Patail confirmed that Farah Azlina Latif, the deputy public prosecutor, had been dropped from the prosecution team in the trial of Ibrahim who is accused of sodomising his former aide Mohammed Saiful Bukhari Azlan.
Ethnic Indian lawyer-lawmaker Karpal Singh, who leads Ibrahim’s defence team, Monday applied before the high court that the entire prosecution team step down in view of the “compromised integrity”.
High Court judge Justice Mohamad Zabidin Mohd Diah said the court will hear the application next Monday before continuing with the cross examination of witnesses, The Star newspaper reported Monday.
Patail said the government’s action to drop the lady official was a follow-up to the allegation that she had had “a romantic relationship” with the key witness in the case.
The relationship was reported on the Malaysia Today website recently.
The trial, which began in 2008, is Ibrahim’s second on charges of sodomy.
A decade earlier, Ibrahim, who was then the deputy prime minister and finance minister under prime minister Mahathir Mohamad, was sacked, put on trial on charge of sodomy and jailed.
Ibrahim staged a political comeback in March 2008 when an opposition alliance he leads won for the first time 88 seats in parliament and wrested control of four states.
- Malay opposition leader Anwar fails to have sodomy charge dropped - Aug 16, 2010
- Sodomy II: Former Malaya Deputy PM Anwar fails to disqualify judge - Dec 06, 2010
- Three blasts after Malaysian court acquits Anwar (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Malaysian opposition leader acquitted in sodomy case - Jan 09, 2012
- Anwar Ibrahim to face trial on sodomy charges - Dec 01, 2009
- Malaysian opposition leader Anwar tries to get judge disqualified - Feb 08, 2010
- Malaysian opposition leader reveals alibi at sodomy trial - May 31, 2010
- Malaysia resents foreign critics of Anwar Ibrahim sodomy trial - Feb 08, 2010
- Media barred from Anwar Ibrahim's second sodomy trial - Feb 04, 2010
- Anwar sodomy case: High Court allows three items as DNA evidence - Mar 23, 2011
- Malaysian leader hires Indian expert to fight sodomy case - Feb 18, 2010
- Malaysian opposition leader Anwar faces sodomy trial, again - Feb 03, 2010
- Anwar Ibrahim to face another trial on sodomy charge - Mar 06, 2009
- Anwar Ibrahim's lawyers challenge sodomy charge - Nov 24, 2009
- Anwar Ibrahim's sodomy trial to go on as he loses appeal - May 05, 2010
Tags: anwar ibrahim, azlina, defence team, deputy prime minister, deputy public prosecutor, diah, gani, indian lawyer, karpal singh, key witness, mahathir mohamad, malaysia today, opposition alliance, opposition leader, political comeback, prime minister mahathir, prosecution team, romantic relationship, saiful, sodomy trial