France votes in crucial presidential run-offMay 6th, 2012 - 4:43 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, May 6 (IANS/RIA Novosti) French people are voting in a crucial run-off in the country’s presidential polls Sunday that could see a Socialist win for the first time since 1988.
The two candidates competing in the second round are François Hollande, an opposition leader of the French Socialist Party, and Nicolas Sarkozy, incumbent president and leader of the ruling Union for a Popular Movement.
The first round of the presidential race in France ended April 22.
Hollande is leading in the latest French opinion polls, with 52.5-53.5 percent of voters saying they intend to vote for him.
Sarkozy, who had gained 27.18 percent in the April 21-22 first round, needed a breakthrough in Wednesday’s television debate in order to retake the lead from Hollande, who had received 28.63 percent.
However, most TV viewers gave preference to Hollande, saying they were impressed by his confident manner.
If elected, Hollande would be France’s first Socialist president since Francois Mitterrand who served two seven-year terms in 1981-1995.
Hollande will wait for the announcement of election results in his native city Tulle.
Sarkozy will be in Paris and is expected to deliver a speech to his supporters and journalists at the election headquarters once the winner’s name is known.
- France votes to choose Sarkozy or Hollande (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Hollande wrests French presidency from Sarkozy - May 07, 2012
- Hollande beats Sarkozy in French presidential polls (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- French presidential polls begin in overseas regions - May 06, 2012
- Hollande, the next French president (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Hollande gives Sarkozy a run for his money (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Millions of French vote to decide Sarkozy's fate (Third Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- France votes as Sarkozy's fate hangs in balance (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- Francois Hollande: The next president of France - May 07, 2012
- French presidential election starts (Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- Strauss-Kahn blames Sarkozy for destroying his bid - Apr 28, 2012
- Sarkozy challenges Hollande to public debates - Apr 23, 2012
- Hollande vows to bring change - May 07, 2012
- Sarkozy to run for second presidential term - Feb 16, 2012
- Sarkozy to quit politics if he loses election - Mar 09, 2012
Tags: confident manner, election headquarters, election results, francois mitterrand, french people, french socialist party, incumbent president, journalists, nicolas sarkozy, opinion polls, opposition leader, popular movement, presidential polls, presidential race, ria novosti, rn, socialist president, television debate, tulle, tv viewers