Fractured mandate in Nagaland, non-Congress parties have edgeMarch 8th, 2008 - 10:58 pm ICT by admin
Kohima, March 8 (IANS) Nagaland is heading for a hung assembly with the Nagaland People’s Front (NPF) having a slight edge over the Congress to form the next government, according to election results and trends declared by late Saturday. The counting of votes took place Saturday for 57 out of 60 seats. Counting in three constituencies will take place Sunday as there was re-polling in some booths Saturday.
Of the 57 results declared so far, the NPF won 25 seats, while the Congress party bagged 22. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) won two seats each and independents won six.
In the last assembly, the NPF partnered with the BJP, smaller parties and independents to form the Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) government. This time there was no pre-poll alliance between the NPF and the BJP.
The notable winners include former chief minister Neiphiu Rio.
“It would be a coalition government once again and we are almost sure to form the next government with the support of the BJP and independents. Even the NCP might support us,” a senior NPF leader said, requesting not to be named.
“The remaining three seats where counting would begin Sunday are NPF strongholds,” he claimed.
- Congress eyes hat-trick in Manipur (Manipur Newsletter) - Jan 20, 2012
- BJP wins simple majority in Goa - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress set to score hat trick in Manipur (Fourth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress set for hat-trick in Manipur (Second Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress set for hat trick in Manipur (Third Lead, changing dateline) - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress scores hat trick in Manipur (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- Nagaland heading for hung assembly - Mar 08, 2008
- Northeast's lawmakers vote in presidential poll - Jul 19, 2012
- Goa Congress-NCP poll alliance to be unveiled this week - Jan 09, 2012
- Naga party says its Manipur result an achievement - Mar 07, 2012
- 'BJP will form government in Goa' - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress scores hat trick in Manipur (Fifth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress eyes hat trick in Manipur (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- Five-time Nagaland chief minister loses by-poll - May 13, 2011
- NCP moots alliance to take on Sangma's NPP - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, booths, chief minister, coalition government, constituencies, democratic alliance, election results, independents, last assembly, mandate, nationalist congress party, ncp, npf, poll alliance, rio, roundup, strongholds