Four hurt, 200 arrested as Tamil protest turns violent in ParisApril 21st, 2009 - 4:34 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, April 21 (DPA) Four people were hurt and more than 200 were taken into custody when a protest demonstration by ethnic Tamils in Paris turned violent, France Info radio reported Tuesday.
More than 500 Tamils had gathered late Monday near the Gare du Nord railway station to call attention to the deaths of nearly 1,500 Tamils, including hundreds of children, during a recent offensive by Sri Lankan government troops against Tamil rebels.
Police said that the demonstration degenerated after bottles were hurled at police officers. Three buses and numerous cars were damaged in the resulting skirmish.
According to UN estimates, more than 4,000 civilians have been killed in the past three months in the civil war, which has taken the lives of an estimated 70,000 people in more than 25 years of fighting.
- French people are insane: Rihanna - Sep 04, 2012
- Rihanna causes chaos at railway station - Sep 03, 2012
- Eurostar nightmare ends as first train in days leaves Paris - Dec 22, 2009
- Geri Halliwell's underwear malfunction at Paris Fashion Week - Oct 04, 2010
- Algerian women suicide bombers poised to strike Europe - Sep 23, 2010
- Hundreds evacuated as storm floods homes in Bobby Jindal's state - Aug 30, 2012
- Cluster bus service launched in Delhi - May 05, 2011
- Shoppers buys 50,000 Euros of wine from a duty free shop in Paris - Dec 13, 2011
- 200-yr-old champagne preserved in Baltic Sea shipwreck up for grabs - Apr 21, 2011
- Telangana protests: Siege at Congress ministers' homes - Sep 29, 2011
- Harried commuters turn to Metro to escape traffic snarls - Sep 27, 2010
- Delhi to add 4,000 buses to tide over Blueline phaseout - Jan 13, 2011
- Delhiites grapple with traffic jams, crowded buses - Sep 27, 2010
- Eiffel Tower evacuated after bomb scare - Sep 15, 2010
- 2,000 squatters in Lima evicted by 1,500 cops - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: buses, cars, civil war, civilians, deaths, estimates, france info radio, gare du nord, government troops, paris paris, police officers, protest demonstration, railway station, skirmish, sri lankan government, tamil rebels, tamils, three months