Four former chief ministers in poll fray in JharkhandMarch 31st, 2009 - 5:42 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, March 31 (IANS) All the four chief ministers that Jharkhand has seen in the eight years since its formation have thrown their hats into the poll ring in these Lok Sabha elections.
Babulal Marandi, the state’s first chief minister and president of the Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P), is fighting the election from Koderma parliamentary constituency.
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Arjun Munda, who was the second chief minister, is fighting from Jamshedpur while his successor Madhu Koda is fighting as an independent candidate from Singhbhum.
The last chief minister, Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) head Shibu Soren is fighting the Lok Sabha election from Dumka. He is also contesting the Jamatara assembly by-poll.
All four face a tough battle ahead. While Munda has to fend off a challenge from sitting JMM MP Suman Mahto and All Jharkhand Students Union (AJSU) leader Shailendra Mahto, Marandi is facing competition from BJP, JMM and Congress candidates.
“People have made up their mind to vote the BJP to power. The good governance by the NDA (National Democratic Alliance) is still fresh in the peoples’ minds and they know my government was toppled due to a conspiracy,” said Munda.
Countering the BJP leader’s claim, Marandi said: “People of Jharkhand are fed up with the NDA and UPA (United Progressive Alliance) in the state. The JVM-P will register a remarkable victory.”
Koda, who is fighting five-time MP Bagun Sumbarai of Congress, says the focus of his campaign will be development.
“Development will be the key issue of my election. As chief minister for two years I have done a lot of development work. People will consider that,” he said after filing nomination papers Monday.
While Marandi, Munda and Koda have already started hectic campaigning, Soren is confined to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in New Delhi because of ill health. He is pitted against young BJP legislator Sunil Soren in Dumka Lok sabha seat.
Jharkhand goes to the polls April 16 and 23.
- BJP refutes JMM's power rotation claim - Jul 09, 2011
- Soren rejects Munda's plea, JMM joins Jamshedpur by-poll (Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Munda faces tough by-poll as campaigning ends - Feb 08, 2011
- Shibu Soren to decide JMM's stand on presidential poll - Jun 24, 2012
- All four former Jharkhand chief ministers win elections - May 16, 2009
- Marandi's party to stay away from Rajya Sabha poll - Apr 23, 2012
- Marandi seeking Maoist help to win Jamshedpur by-poll: Munda - Jun 30, 2011
- BJP to back JMM candidates if it joins NDA - Apr 16, 2012
- JMM eyes Jameshedpur Lok Sabha seat after Munda victory - Feb 18, 2011
- Jharkhand ruling alliance bickers over by-poll - Jun 04, 2011
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll underway, JVM-P stays away - May 03, 2012
- Three former Jharkhand chief ministers eye ministerial berths - May 20, 2009
- Pranab campaigns in Jharkhand, Lalu, Paswan also pitch in - Jul 12, 2012
- Top leaders address rallies in Jharkhand for third phase - Dec 06, 2009
- Jharkhand's Rajya Sabha poll could leave Munda shaky - May 01, 2012
Tags: aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, arjun munda, chief ministers, congress candidates, good governance, independent candidate, india institute, jharkhand, lok sabha election, lok sabha elections, national democratic alliance, nomination papers, parliamentary constituency, peoples minds, poll fray, progressive alliance, remarkable victory, shailendra, shibu soren