Foundation laid for Narmada canal project in KutchApril 9th, 2011 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
Rapar (Kutch), April 9 (IANS) Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi Saturday laid the foundation stones here for five projects of the Narmada branch canal network for the Kutch district.
While Kutch has become a development model for the country, it would also become a model for green, agricultural revolution, Modi said on the occasion.
Modi urged the union government to allow early installation of the gates atop the Sardar Sarovar dam across the Narmada river and to bear 90 percent of the cost of the Narmada Command Desert Development Programme in the state.
The chief minister laid the stones for five projects related to the 360-km Narmada branch canal network for the Kutch district involving a total of Rs.4,600-crore.
The network includes two branch canals of 82 km each in Rapar at Rs.1,265 crore and three pumping stations.
Revenue Minister Anandiben Patel said that the canal project would double the income of Kutch farmers.
Water Resources Minister Nitin Patel said the Kutch region had started getting Narmada water for drinking purposes through a pipeline project since 2003 and it will soon reach the district for irrigation.
A state government press release said that overwhelmed by the prospects of Narmada waters reaching the Kutch region, the villagers of Suvai Saturday donated 100-kg silver at the Narmada canal ground breaking ceremony to erect a huge “Statue of Unity” to commemorate Sardar Patel’s contribution towards the project.
On the occasion a number of prominent people contributed sums of different amounts for the Gujarat’s “Kanya Kelavni Yojna,” the scheme to popularise girls’ education.
A 12-year-old girl Fency Trevadia also donated Rs.12,734 from her pocket money for the fund, inviting praise from the chief minister, the government statement said.
- Modi to lay foundation stone of Kutch canal works - Apr 08, 2011
- Hindustan Construction bags Rs.345 crore project - Feb 02, 2011
- Modi's Patel statue announcement leads to controversy - Oct 08, 2010
- Gujarat celebrates golden jubilee (Second lead, changing dateline) - May 01, 2010
- Canal water allocation not in judicial domain: Apex court - Jul 25, 2011
- Congress hindering raising of Narmada dam, says Modi - Feb 12, 2009
- Gujarat opposes another central review panel on Narmada - May 04, 2010
- Green cess on power, rise in VAT on tobacco in Gujarat budget - Feb 25, 2011
- Modi, governor lead R-Day celebrations in Gujarat - Jan 26, 2012
- Gujarat to have Asia's largest solar power park - Dec 30, 2010
- Asia's largest solar park functional in Gujarat - Apr 19, 2012
- Gujarat's 2010-11 annual plan fixed at Rs.30,000 crore - May 20, 2010
- Modi slams centre's 'indifference', seeks crude royalty compensation - Mar 26, 2011
- Central government not allowing to raise dam height: Gujarat - Jul 15, 2009
- Hindustan Construction bags Rs.289 crore Gujarat project - Jan 03, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,