Forward Bloc legislator suspended from Bengal assemblyJune 23rd, 2012 - 12:23 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 22 (IANS) A Forward Bloc legislator was Friday suspended from the West Begnal Assembly for the rest of the day for using “unparliamentary” words targeting Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
Ali Imran Ramz, who represents Chakulia in North Dinajpur district, made some comments while participating in the debate on the urban development and municipal affairs department budget which angered the treasury bench members.
Describing the comments as unparliamentary and highly offensive, the treasury bench members trooped into the well and rushed towards him. They encircled Ramz and threatened to attack him while a member took off his shoes and made a gesture to throw it at the opposition MLA.
Some senior members of the government including chief whip Sobhandeb Chattopadhyay tried to calm down the enraged members and asked them to return to their seats.
State Panchayat and Rural Development Minister Subrata Mukherjee raised a point of order and demanded an apology from Ramz. He appealed to Speaker Biman Banerjee to take strong action against Ramz, failing which the treasury benches will move a resolution asking for his suspension.
When Banerjee asked Ramz to explain his conduct, the MLA refused to apologise and said he had not used any unparliamentary words.
The speaker then ordered his suspension from the day’s remaining proceedings and ordered that Ramz’s remarks be expunged from the House records.
- Vulgar language upsets Bangladesh Speaker - Mar 21, 2011
- Trinamool moves against ex-Congress MLA - Sep 21, 2012
- Ruckus in Himachal assembly over Dhumal's remarks - Aug 24, 2011
- CPI-M plotting to poison drinking water: Mamata - Dec 22, 2011
- No partycracy in house, says Mamata in first assembly speech - May 30, 2011
- Shoe-hurling mars Rajasthan assembly proceedings - Aug 30, 2011
- Unruly scenes in Lok Sabha as Trinamool MP fumes - May 04, 2010
- Chaos in Kashmir assembly over NC worker's death - Oct 03, 2011
- National Conference worker's death rocks Kashmir assembly (Roundup) - Oct 03, 2011
- Left pays homage to Jyoti Basu on the road (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Mamata strips non-Trinamool panchayat heads of power - Mar 27, 2012
- Personal abuse and attacks mar Bengal poll campaign - May 11, 2011
- Jaya Bachchan, Shinde trade words in Rajya Sabha - Aug 09, 2012
- Ruckus in Lok Sabha over slur by Trinamool MP (Lead) - May 04, 2010
- Mamata's 'poisoned water' allegation angers Left Front - Dec 24, 2011
Tags: affairs department, ali imran, banerjee, bengal, biman, chief minister, chief whip, department budget, development minister, dinajpur district, forward bloc, kolkata, legislator, municipal affairs, panchayat, ramz, rest of the day, rural development, subrata mukherjee, treasury bench