Forward Bloc demands special observance of Netaji’s birth anniversaryNovember 19th, 2011 - 1:22 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 18 (IANS) Over 1.50 lakh Forward Bloc activists Friday courted arrest in West Bengal during a “Jail bharo” agitation with a three-point demand including the declaration of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose’s birthday on Jan 23 as “Desh Prem Divas”.
The Forward Bloc, the party founded by Bose, also demanded withdrawal of the date Aug 18, 1945, mentioned in a book published by the Lok Sabha secretariat as the date of Netaji’s death and acceptance by the government of Justice Manoj Mukherjee Commission report on his “disappearance”.
“Over 1.50 lakh activists have courted arrest across Bengal,” said Forward Bloc state secretary Ashok Ghosh here.
He said the Bloc would hold protests in Kolkata and adjoining districts on the issue Nov 21.
- Some of Mamata's policies identical to Left's: Forward Bloc - Jan 19, 2012
- Amend booklet mentioning Netaji's death: Forward Bloc - Oct 16, 2011
- 'Left lost, but movement unbeaten in Bengal' - Nov 14, 2011
- Government's attitude on Netaji condemnable: Forward Bloc - Jan 22, 2012
- Netaji's birth anniversary celebrated across West Bengal - Jan 23, 2011
- Mamata lets Left garland Netaji statue first - Jan 23, 2012
- Communists have no moral right to honour Netaji: Mamata - Jan 23, 2012
- Will seek celebration of Netaji's birthday as Deshprem Divas: Narayanan - Jan 23, 2011
- Declare Netaji's birthday as 'Deshprem Divas': CPI-M - Jan 23, 2011
- Political spats cloud Netaji birthday celebrations in Bengal (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- Nation must accept Netaji's death: Biographer (Interview) - Jul 24, 2011
- Forward Bloc questions Tatas moving court on Singur - Jun 22, 2011
- Kishanji murdered in police custody: Varvara Rao - Nov 25, 2011
- President Patil to visit Visva Bharati Tuesday - Nov 28, 2011
- West Bengal celebrates Netaji's birth anniversary - Jan 23, 2010
Tags: activists, agitation, ashok, birth anniversary, bloc, disappearance, issue nov, jail bharo, lok sabha secretariat, manoj, netaji subhas chandra bose, observance, prem, protests, secretariat, state secretary, subhas chandra bose, west bengal