Former Taiwan leader gets jail term for corruptionDecember 6th, 2010 - 11:25 pm ICT by IANS
Taipei, Dec 6 (IANS) The Taiwan High Court Monday sentenced former leader Chen Shui-bian to a combined jail term of 17 years and six months for corruption.
Last month, Chen was sentenced to 11 years and 8 years after being found guilty in two cases of corruption, Xinhua reported.
The former leader was also fined 154 million New Taiwan dollars (about $5 million).
It is the first time that an ex-leader of Taiwan has been jailed.
However, the prison term for Chen’s wife, Wu Shu-chen, has yet to be decided. Wu was also sentenced to 11 years and 8 years in the two corruption cases last month.
According to the prosecutors, wheelchair-bound Wu will begin serving her sentence at the Taichung Prison hospital because of her poor health. The date for Wu beginning her sentence also remains undecided.
- Taiwan court sentences ex-president to life for corruption (Lead) - Sep 11, 2009
- Taiwan court cuts ex-president Chen's life term to 20 years - Jun 11, 2010
- Taiwan's former first lady, children sentenced for corruption - Sep 01, 2009
- Chinese culture minister visits Taiwan - Sep 02, 2010
- Taiwan former president ends hunger strike - Feb 23, 2009
- Taiwan court sentences ex-president to life for graft - Sep 11, 2009
- Taiwan's court denies bail request by ex-president - Oct 09, 2009
- Taiwan's former first lady pleads guilty to forgery - Feb 10, 2009
- Taiwan protests China's bid to block trade pacts - Jun 02, 2010
- Former Taiwan leader held on graft charges released - Dec 13, 2008
- Taiwan executes five convicted murderers - Mar 05, 2011
- Taiwanese vegetable vendor is among Asia's Nobel winners - Jul 26, 2012
- Three drug traffickers get death in China - Apr 11, 2012
- Six jailed in China for selling tainted bean sprouts - Aug 13, 2011
- Pro-China Ma sworn in as Taiwan's new president - May 20, 2008
Tags: 11 years, 17 years, 5 million, 8 years, chen shui bian, corruption cases, jail term, poor health, prison hospital, prison term, prosecutors, six months, taipei, taiwan dollars, taiwan leader, wheelchair, wu shu, xinhua