Former Sudanese president Nimeiry dies at 79May 31st, 2009 - 12:41 am ICT by IANS
Nairobi, May 30 (DPA) Former Sudanese president Gaafar Muhammad Nimeiry died Saturday, media reports said.
No cause of death was given. Nimeiry was 79.
Nimeiry took control of Sudan 40 years ago and ruled until he was deposed in a bloodless coup by current Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir in 1985.
He returned to Sudan in 1999 after living in exile in Egypt. He was viewed as pro-Western and one of the few Arabic rules who supported peace between Israel and Egypt.
- Sudan's president warns protesters of 'incinerating summer' - Jul 12, 2012
- Sudan against holding talks with Juba over oil - Apr 21, 2012
- Sudan president aims for South Sudan's liberation - Apr 19, 2012
- ICC issues arrest warrant for Sudanese minister - Mar 02, 2012
- After release, Clooney calls for action - Mar 19, 2012
- Sudan's President Bashir transferred '$9bn in UK banks': Wikileaks - Dec 18, 2010
- After Egypt, winds of change are blowing through six nations (Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- George Clooney Stands For A Peaceful Referendum In Sudan - Oct 15, 2010
- China establishes diplomatic relations with South Sudan - Jul 10, 2011
- Ties with Israel can bring India-Pakistan closer: Musharraf - Jan 07, 2012
- Muslim woman whipped in public for wearing trousers - Dec 14, 2010
- Actor George Clooney among arrested in Sudan protest - Mar 18, 2012
- Woman faces death by stoning in Sudan - Aug 02, 2012
- Sudan election results delayed - Apr 21, 2010
- Sudan president accepts South's independence vote - Feb 08, 2011